Sign in to follow this  
Print Dad

Rim Blow Horn - ???

Hello all,

The weatherstrip issue is done.I think I should glue it but it is on.

Now for new problem. Car is 70 Mach 1 - Rim Blow? steering wheel.

The rubber that you squeze goes all around inner steering wheel.

The problem...When I squeeze it only toots horn at about the & o'clock area.

Where do I start and what do I check.

I remember on my old cars there was a switch under the center cap but I don't know this one at all.

Sorry for what mat seems like a simple task but I am trying to get the car on the road after 22 years in garage. I am close.

Thanks again....Print Dad

I now understand that the rubber holds the switch. Is it possible the inside of the rubber is just dirty. I am thinking there must be a wire that runs along inside and when you squeeze it the wires complete a circuit?

Because mine works at 7 o'clock does that mean that there is not a dirty connection?

Have a great and safe 4th everyone.

Edited by Print Dad
Added info

Hello S code 69,

I am really stupid and don't really understand what the switch is?

All I remember on my old cars I had a switch that looked like contacts

that completed a circuit when pressed.

I don't know anything about the rimblow and how it is supposed to work.

Is there a wire running around the rim under the rubber or something like that?

I am just starting this so please bear with me. Also I am just an old back-yard wrencher who is trying to get the car back out after all the years.

Any links, tips etc. would be very helpful.

I saw a great article here:

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_9908_classic_ford_mustang_steering_wheel_restoration/painting.html

This tells how to restore a rimblow but only touches a bit on the horn.

Thanks for your help and patience....... Print Dad

No problem I'm a mopar guy so I'm learning about Mustangs as my restoration goes on.

The band around the inside center is a copper strip that's held away from a band that contacts when you squeeze it . in other words the whole band all the way around your wheel is a switch and squeezing it anywhere will make a contact. these wheels were uses on Fords, Mopars and AMC 's in 69-70-71 that I know of, they weren't a very good idea and were short lived.

If you want to replace it with a new one it's easy, you just pull the old one out and pop the new one in. a little clean up in the groove is needed but I did mine in about 15 minutes.

Unless you just really have to have the restored look, I'd replace the entire steering wheel with a grant and have the horn button in the center, where it was on every car you ever drove until the late 80s.

One problem with the rim-blow is that it's not automatic to squeeze the wheel in an emergency. When you need to honk the horn you need it right then (and if you're just mad at someone you don't need to honk the horn anyway).

The other problem is honking the horn when you don't intend to because you grabbed the wheel too hard in a turn. Both of those situations have happened to me, so I replaced it. A working horn is not something worth sacrificing to be concours correct IMO. I guess it depends on how much you plan to drive it in traffic though.