Sign in to follow this  
69mustang351W

Cigar Lighter

My cigar lighter works good, but a cell phone charger dont works. Ive read on earlier threads thats this is a typical problem.I thought I understood right; a plug in adapter is available to buy to get other units working in the power port also. But then I have to use a 240 or 120 volt charger, not the 12 v charger that dont fits in the cylinder. I thought it maybe was an adapter which was fysically between the power port and the 12 v cell phone charger plug, to get a cylinder that the more modern 12 v call phone chargers fit. But I guess that is wrong.

My cigar lighter works good, but a cell phone charger dont works. Ive read on earlier threads thats this is a typical problem.I thought I understood right; a plug in adapter is available to buy to get other units working in the power port also. But then I have to use a 240 or 120 volt charger, not the 12 v charger that dont fits in the cylinder. I thought it maybe was an adapter which was fysically between the power port and the 12 v cell phone charger plug, to get a cylinder that the more modern 12 v call phone chargers fit. But I guess that is wrong.

yes teh early fords like ours used a different power and ground circuit than the modern cig lighters so nothing that needs power from the lighter will work in them, however you can (or used to) get an adapter plug from radio shack, the alternative is to replace the lighter plug with a more modern unit from a newer car or even a gm vehicle, whichever, or just buy an auxillary power port and bracket from JC whitney or somewhere, maybe Autozone or Advance will have something too. i got an adapter from radio shack a few years ago but i'll be using it in my car i'm sure, for cell phone, portable cd or cassette, ipod, radar detector, etc.

yes teh early fords like ours used a different power and ground circuit than the modern cig lighters so nothing that needs power from the lighter will work in them, however you can (or used to) get an adapter plug from radio shack, the alternative is to replace the lighter plug with a more modern unit from a newer car or even a gm vehicle, whichever, or just buy an auxillary power port and bracket from JC whitney or somewhere, maybe Autozone or Advance will have something too. i got an adapter from radio shack a few years ago but i'll be using it in my car i'm sure, for cell phone, portable cd or cassette, ipod, radar detector, etc.

bnickel are sure about that? The reason I ask is I run my GPS of my cigarette lighter socket in the dash. It is the original socket. I don't recall any problem getting power from there. I use the GPS when ever I go to a show that I have never been before. There might be an orientation problem, meaning you may have to put it in the socket at different degrees to get the prongs on the side to touch.

JAG

bnickel are sure about that? The reason I ask is I run my GPS of my cigarette lighter socket in the dash. It is the original socket. I don't recall any problem getting power from there. I use the GPS when ever I go to a show that I have never been before. There might be an orientation problem, meaning you may have to put it in the socket at different degrees to get the prongs on the side to touch.

JAG