Sign in to follow this  
369coupes

71 mustang disc brakes on a 69????

just curious if the disc brakes from a 71 mustang will fit a 69 (spindles and all) i went to look at a 71 parts car tonight that i found on craigslist

the guy said it had a 351w i get there and it was a 351c i ended up buying the engine, trans (c4), complete 8 inch rear axle (3.00:1 ) , the bucket seats and the shifter for $200.00:biggrin:

but anywho the car had disc brakes on it and i told the guy if i could find out if theyd fit my 69 id buy them also , so all knowledgable mustangers will they?

yay i got me a cleveland again

just curious if the disc brakes from a 71 mustang will fit a 69 (spindles and all) i went to look at a 71 parts car tonight that i found on craigslist

the guy said it had a 351w i get there and it was a 351c i ended up buying the engine, trans (c4), complete 8 inch rear axle (3.00:1 ) , the bucket seats and the shifter for $200.00:biggrin:

but anywho the car had disc brakes on it and i told the guy if i could find out if theyd fit my 69 id buy them also , so all knowledgable mustangers will they?

yay i got me a cleveland again

yes my car had 14's it now has 15's and i understand about the rotor sizes

i guess my question is will the 71 spindle bolt onto my 69 control arms and ball joints or did ford go to a larger size bjoint for the 71 disc spindels? and will putting the 71 stuff on my car adversly effect the steering geometry

or is it possible the 71 disc's would fit my 69 spindels same bearing sizes? etc

rhanks for the reply

yes my car had 14's it now has 15's and i understand about the rotor sizes

i guess my question is will the 71 spindle bolt onto my 69 control arms and ball joints or did ford go to a larger size bjoint for the 71 disc spindels? and will putting the 71 stuff on my car adversly effect the steering geometry

or is it possible the 71 disc's would fit my 69 spindels same bearing sizes? etc

rhanks for the reply

Yes, however the spindle diameter on the 69 is slightly smaller than the 70 to 73. All you have to do is change the races in the rotors to make them work. I would not expect the used rotors to be good anyway. If it were me, I'd buy the 71 spindles with all the hardware already on them. The beefier spindles are more desirable to most people and you will make sure you get all the pieces for the swap.

As mentioned previously, the tie rods are larger on the 70 and up, but the ball joints are the same.

Edited by 69gmachine
more info

Yes, however the spindle diameter on the 69 is slightly smaller than the 70 to 73. All you have to do is change the races in the rotors to make them work. I would not expect the used rotors to be good anyway. If it were me, I'd buy the 71 spindles with all the hardware already on them. The beefier spindles are more desirable to most people and you will make sure you get all the pieces for the swap.

As mentioned previously, the tie rods are larger on the 70 and up, but the ball joints are the same.

Edited by 69gmachine
more info

ok i got the disc brakes off the car (it had 14 inch rims by the way) now i have another question

actually this is just to clear this up in my mind

first ok all the 71 stuff is a direct bolt on with the exception of the tie rods right?

and the 71 rotors will fit a 69 if you change the bearing races in the rotor from 71's to 69's right?

so does that mean the 71's caliper bracket will bolt to the 69 spindle? what about the dust shield?

if these items are true

then i just need to come up with a pair of caliper brackets , dust shields and the prop valve and buy new rotors and calipers to put a set of discs on my 69 right?

because this set that i just got is going on my girlfriends coupe gotta take care of her first right? :biggrin:

ok i got the disc brakes off the car (it had 14 inch rims by the way) now i have another question

actually this is just to clear this up in my mind

first ok all the 71 stuff is a direct bolt on with the exception of the tie rods right?

and the 71 rotors will fit a 69 if you change the bearing races in the rotor from 71's to 69's right?

so does that mean the 71's caliper bracket will bolt to the 69 spindle? what about the dust shield?

if these items are true

then i just need to come up with a pair of caliper brackets , dust shields and the prop valve and buy new rotors and calipers to put a set of discs on my 69 right?

because this set that i just got is going on my girlfriends coupe gotta take care of her first right? :biggrin: