Sign in to follow this  
hawkdriver

Looking for ideas

Hello,

Im sort of a newbie here, so please bare with me. I recently bought a 69 coupe 351W A/T. Over the next year or so i am gathering info mainly from the experts on this sight. I cannot do anything with my car right now as i am deployed however i am starting a to do list and looking for some help.

I am starting with new wheels and tires (already have them picked) and a front disk brake conversion. After that is done im sort of at a what next point. I am somewhat on a budget but im looking for the most bang for the buck. My thoughts are below.

Air cleaner - i have the original with snorkel (worth upgrading?)

Carb

Headers

Valve covers

Exhaust manifold

Gauges

This is a starter list but i hope it starts the ball rolling. Basically im looking at what will provide me with most bang for buck and why.

Also looking if it is avail for a chrome trim kit (complete car) i know i can get all chrome individually but looking if anyone knows of a package and could save me time. Or at least a good chrome polish as some of my chrome is slightly rusted and or pitted.

And if anyone knows a good online store other than CJ Pony that i can take a look at please don’t hesitate.

Hello,

Im sort of a newbie here, so please bare with me. I recently bought a 69 coupe 351W A/T. Over the next year or so i am gathering info mainly from the experts on this sight. I cannot do anything with my car right now as i am deployed however i am starting a to do list and looking for some help.

I am starting with new wheels and tires (already have them picked) and a front disk brake conversion. After that is done im sort of at a what next point. I am somewhat on a budget but im looking for the most bang for the buck. My thoughts are below.

Air cleaner - i have the original with snorkel (worth upgrading?)

Carb

Headers

Valve covers

Exhaust manifold

Gauges

This is a starter list but i hope it starts the ball rolling. Basically im looking at what will provide me with most bang for buck and why.

Also looking if it is avail for a chrome trim kit (complete car) i know i can get all chrome individually but looking if anyone knows of a package and could save me time. Or at least a good chrome polish as some of my chrome is slightly rusted and or pitted.

And if anyone knows a good online store other than CJ Pony that i can take a look at please don’t hesitate.

Hey, welcome to your new addiction/money pit..

Ive got pretty much the same car, and a good start is brakes/suspension steering and then get into pepping up the motor.

A great upgrade to the engine would be to get a new intake/ carb if you are still running a 2bbl and then some headers and an exhaust system. If you already have the 4bbl carb you could swap in a decent cam and hold on for a fun ride..

Since you are deployed you could just start stockpiling parts for when you get back home. Thats what I do when Im out to sea (NAVY)

So order a couple of free parts magazines: Mustangs Unlimited, CJ Pony Parts.. and start drooling about what you want to add.. The parts mags actually really help you out with what you can or will or want to add to the car. Also serves as a guide for installation and lets you see what you may be missing just by browsing through.. So get a highlighter and start marking the things you want to pick up and then figure out what order you want to do it in..

My reccomendation

1. Suspension Brakes / Electrical

2. Steering

3. Intake Exhaust Engine upgrades (Engine pretties like valve covers, air cleaner)

4. Paint / Trim

5. Interior

Hey, welcome to your new addiction/money pit..

Ive got pretty much the same car, and a good start is brakes/suspension steering and then get into pepping up the motor.

A great upgrade to the engine would be to get a new intake/ carb if you are still running a 2bbl and then some headers and an exhaust system. If you already have the 4bbl carb you could swap in a decent cam and hold on for a fun ride..

Since you are deployed you could just start stockpiling parts for when you get back home. Thats what I do when Im out to sea (NAVY)

So order a couple of free parts magazines: Mustangs Unlimited, CJ Pony Parts.. and start drooling about what you want to add.. The parts mags actually really help you out with what you can or will or want to add to the car. Also serves as a guide for installation and lets you see what you may be missing just by browsing through.. So get a highlighter and start marking the things you want to pick up and then figure out what order you want to do it in..

My reccomendation

1. Suspension Brakes / Electrical

2. Steering

3. Intake Exhaust Engine upgrades (Engine pretties like valve covers, air cleaner)

4. Paint / Trim

5. Interior

Hello,

I'll throw my thoughts out there so here goes...

After the wheels and brakes, or depending on budget maybe even before...

Open air filter http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/751908/10002/-1

Mini Starter (like this http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=ATR&MfrPartNumber=A3205S&PartType=123&PTSet=A) you can get at a bone yard for really cheap...think mine was 20.00

3G alternator - also can get at a bone yard for around 20.00

Electric fan - bone yard (http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/cooling-articles/482048-junkyard-upgrade-dual-electric-fans.html)

Headers

Carb and Manifold

and the list goes on...

Marc

Edited by cramer
can't spell

Hello,

I'll throw my thoughts out there so here goes...

After the wheels and brakes, or depending on budget maybe even before...

Open air filter http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/751908/10002/-1

Mini Starter (like this http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=ATR&MfrPartNumber=A3205S&PartType=123&PTSet=A) you can get at a bone yard for really cheap...think mine was 20.00

3G alternator - also can get at a bone yard for around 20.00

Electric fan - bone yard (http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/cooling-articles/482048-junkyard-upgrade-dual-electric-fans.html)

Headers

Carb and Manifold

and the list goes on...

Marc

Edited by cramer
can't spell