Sign in to follow this  
Handegard

Anyone use a newer 5.0 power steering pump?

This just occured to me-

I'm droping my '88 5.0 in tomorow. I was planing to keep the newer serpintine setup, and it occured to me I have a '88 power steering pump on here. I assume I'm not the first to drop a newer motor in, and this has been done, but will the pump work with the factory power steering setup?

I know a hydraulics guy, I'll have him crimp me some new hoses that match, but I'm afraid the new pump might have too much pressure, not enough, or something like that....

So yeah, worring about nothing? Been done? Common swap?

This just occured to me-

I'm droping my '88 5.0 in tomorow. I was planing to keep the newer serpintine setup, and it occured to me I have a '88 power steering pump on here. I assume I'm not the first to drop a newer motor in, and this has been done, but will the pump work with the factory power steering setup?

I know a hydraulics guy, I'll have him crimp me some new hoses that match, but I'm afraid the new pump might have too much pressure, not enough, or something like that....

So yeah, worring about nothing? Been done? Common swap?

Lets see the whole engine on that setup please.

Here's the most recent pic I've got.

Carb hat and charge air piping are off. The windshield wiper fluid tank has since been moved. Can't really see the turbo in this pic :(

Lets see the whole engine on that setup please.

Here's the most recent pic I've got.

Carb hat and charge air piping are off. The windshield wiper fluid tank has since been moved. Can't really see the turbo in this pic :(

Take a look at the pic. Is this the same pump? If so, then yes... I know someone who's using that pump. Not a lot of miles yet, but works perfectly so far.

Yes, thats the same pump...

I figured it would likely work, but at the same time wouldn't have been surprised if there was some oddball reason it wouldn't... I know the same pump has been used in rack & pinion setups, as well as heavy duty reciprocating ball setups, soI assume it's pretty versatile...

Thanks alot, cool motor, I can't wait to get MegaSquirt under my hood....

Take a look at the pic. Is this the same pump? If so, then yes... I know someone who's using that pump. Not a lot of miles yet, but works perfectly so far.

Yes, thats the same pump...

I figured it would likely work, but at the same time wouldn't have been surprised if there was some oddball reason it wouldn't... I know the same pump has been used in rack & pinion setups, as well as heavy duty reciprocating ball setups, soI assume it's pretty versatile...

Thanks alot, cool motor, I can't wait to get MegaSquirt under my hood....

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing. Somewhere I read that a simple adapter was

all that was required to get the original hose to work with the 5.0 p/s pump, but I can't seem to find the information again. Does anyone know if such a thing exists and if so enlighten me as to what it looks like.

I still have a lot of little things to finish up, but the bulk of this particular project is done.

Serp-belt-set-up-02.jpg

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing. Somewhere I read that a simple adapter was

all that was required to get the original hose to work with the 5.0 p/s pump, but I can't seem to find the information again. Does anyone know if such a thing exists and if so enlighten me as to what it looks like.

I still have a lot of little things to finish up, but the bulk of this particular project is done.

Serp-belt-set-up-02.jpg

Thats actually more the belt setup I'd like, but I'll live with what I have for now.

My alternator is where your compressor is, so my accessories look "lopsided" all being on the driver side. I'm sure I'll find a use for the free space on the passenger side though ;)

Thats actually more the belt setup I'd like, but I'll live with what I have for now.

My alternator is where your compressor is, so my accessories look "lopsided" all being on the driver side. I'm sure I'll find a use for the free space on the passenger side though ;)

Not what you asked but I used an 89 5.0 that I was able to reuse the pulley setup minus the power pump. Is yours like this?

69Engine2_edited.jpg

Problem I found is that the radiator needs to be come out for the lower alternator bolt to be removed. Just a heads up. Cause it adds some work for an alternator change out.

Not what you asked but I used an 89 5.0 that I was able to reuse the pulley setup minus the power pump. Is yours like this?

69Engine2_edited.jpg

Problem I found is that the radiator needs to be come out for the lower alternator bolt to be removed. Just a heads up. Cause it adds some work for an alternator change out.