Sign in to follow this  
mikem

302 Head Swap help

I would like to place my order ASAP for a set of AFR 165 aluminum heads for my 302. What i dont know is what else do i need to have in hand to complete the swap without having to chase down or order additional parts. Here is where i show my lack of experience and knowledge. I would like to use the same system that is on my stock heads with the exception of the rockers. I would like to use roller rockers but dont know if the stock heads are pedestal or stud. I'm thinking they are pedestal? Do i use the stock bolts on the new rockers or do i need to get a set specifically for use with the roller rockers? Do i need to use hardened push rods? Will that same stock head bolts work with the aluminum heads (size wise) or do i order a different size? Do i use an anti seize compound on all the head, exhaust and intake bolts? Do i use a special head gasket or intake gasket? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike

That's a lot of questions, I'll try and tackle a few:

You need to check what size the head bolt holes are in the AFR heads. If it's like stock 3/8, then you can use the same bolts (new ones of course). If they can be used on a 351 then their 1/2" (like my gt40X heads), and require bolts that use step down washers for the bolt holes. ARP sells them.

Look at your factory heads (pull the valve cover) and see if the rockers are bolted down or if they have studs going through them. There's your answer for that. Now if you plan on buying new roller rockers anyway, it doesn't really matter what you have now, you need to know what the AFR heads take. I have a feeling their stud mount. Just ask AFR.

On a side note... If you're a novice mechanic, I'd recommend getting a set of heads that are pedestal mount. You torque'em and forget'em. The stud mount rockers can loosen and fall out of adjustment a lot (at least that's been my experience over the years).

Graphite head gaskets are usually used for aluminum heads (because the steel/paper ones can gnarl up the soft aluminum on the head).

You don't "need" hardened pushrods, but if you've got the extra cash i'd say they wouldn't hurt anything.

Hope this helps!

I put roller rockers in my stock heads along with a roller cam when I rebuilt the engine and it was not that complicated. You just have to be sure all the parts are compatible - and all of the big manufacturers will spec a matched set of lifters, pushrods and rockers that will work for your application. If you're going to the trouble and expense of swapping heads, you might consider swapping the cam and lifters, too, to get a full roller setup. I used Comp Cams, but Crane and others have offerings. Just a thought.