Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

Welding New Cowl Panel in Questions

I've got the one piece replacement cowl (upper and lower together) and had a couple of questions, looking for some opinions on how to weld it in.

Should I weld it to the firewall/outer cowl panels from the top down (so I would drill holes through both the upper and lower cowl and weld to the firewall/outer cowl), or weld from the bottom up (only drilling holes in the firewall, outer cowl)?

With it being a one piece cowl, I can't weld the inner cowl (where the foot vent is located) to the lower cowl like stock. I was thinking about just running a bead down the seam from the inside going up to the lower cowl. Anyone see any issues with that? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

When replacing mine. I cut out and cleaned up donor part one piece also. The person painting my car welded in place. Plug welded from top down - hole in upper and lower and welded to firewall top. Painter welded area you could not get to from top from underneath dash area. Which I beleive woul dbe fine. Other option I heard people doing is putting panel adhesive on this area.

Have you tried to weld upside down? Personally I would drill from the top down & clamp it tight then weld after taking lots of measurements. I feel you will get a better weld this way, stronger.

Mike