Sign in to follow this  
69fstback

New intake

So i am in the process of building a nice little track car. It will be mostly track only driven there(15min@50mph)

The question I have is I am building a 351Cleveland. I am hoping for about 400-450hp on motor. Then I am adding nitrous under the intake manifold so its like a direct system.

What shot is safe to run with stock rods and forged pistons? When should I step up to forged rods? I was hoping to run in the 11's with a 100shot in a 3200lb car.

Ya i was hoping it would be a good topic. I have heard that stock rods are good to about 500 if shot peened etc. but thats dangerous if i making 425 on motor and even hitting a 100 shot?

I saw 5140 rods but do not know how good they are only $250 but not sure on their rating. HP wise

The only other is eagle h-beams for $550. then I could probally hit a 200 shot. but budget is not tight but 550 for rods?

stock cleveland rods are already forged, in fact pretty much all ford rods are forged, even on six cylinders. if you polish the beams and shot peen the stockers you should be able to easily get 500-550 out of them just make sure you use ARP rod bolts, i like the wave loc bolts myself.

that said i have broken stock cleveland rods just driving down the highway at 70 mph in a bone stock 70 cougar with 3.00 gears. i would seriously consider stepping up to the eagle rods with that much HP on motor and adding N2o to the mix as well, once you shot peen, polish and add ARP bolts to the stock rods you are within a couple hundred bucks of the price of the eagle rods anyway.