Sign in to follow this  
Cupid

4V heads vs 2V

I'm planning on rebuilding the cleveland in 2-3 months. Lookin' to get 300 rwhp out of the thing and still get somewhat decent gas mileage. I'm wondering should I go to 4V heads. I'm also wondering if I should stroke it. I'm thinkin' strokin' is a bad idea due to gas mileage. I'm pretty sure the kits run close to the 2K range as well. Any thoughts?

Should I stick with the 2Vs and put $ elsewhere?

My Ford experience is limited to the FE engines but since the 351 4V heads have bigger valves and ports ( I think? ) you're going to need those to get much HP out of your engine

there is no way to make great HP and have great fuel economy in our old engines but if you do it right you can have a compromise you can live with. my '70 Challenger with a 440 six pack will get over 14 mpg if I drive it like a grampa but still puts out 500 Hp on the dyno, about 5 mpg if I don't.

You could get 300 rwhp, or very close with the 2V heads, just depends on how much money you have to play with. I have had a few Clevelands with 2V heads and they have been strong runners. They still have good size ports and big valves compared to other SBF's, only drawback is big chambers and a low CR on 2V Clevelands. You will need to get the compression up to at least 9.5 to 10.1, good cam, go with high quality stainless valves, locks and springs, (ask me how I know) a good 3 or 5 angle valve job, and a little port/bowl work. Or plop down the cash for some Edelbrock Cleveland heads. With headers and a 650-700 cfm 4 barrel I would guess over 300 hp at the flywheel easy with 2V heads and more low end torque than 4V heads. Gas milage? Probably not that great but OK if you keep your foot out of it.

Edited by SlimeGold 69

I have had both a 2v cleveland with open chambers and a 4v closed chamber cleveland. If you want a street motor go with the 2v with some clean up if you want a scary pull from 3000-7500 go with the 4v but only the closed chamber heads are worth it. Both were fun and dont believe that the 4v dont make the torque they do but you wont get the gas mileage at all.