Sign in to follow this  
jgstang

my 351W roller motor

well i haven't had much time to work on my motor but here it is so far! 351W cammed,balanced,ported trickflow TW heads,tri power from carls ford parts.had Dr j's port match the adaptor plate and intake to the heads est HP 390-420 Jim

mytripower83008001.jpg

mytripower83008002.jpg

mytripower83008003.jpg

I spoke to a mechanic the other day who said that the Windsor is better than the Cleveland. I really wasn't sure, I beieve that the Windsor is bigger and can produce more power, but is there any up's or down's to either?

Bill from Ottawa

pound for pound, a stock 4bbl cleveland will run circles around a windsor. They have huge heads that are really to big for most street aplications. Theyre are basically a race motor that was put into a production car in order to allow ford to run it in factory backed race cars (early nascar or trans-am...dont remember) THey also have 4 bolt mains...tough RACE motor.

Windsors are more aftermarket freindly and parts are cheaper. 3" mains..(ive never broke a windsor bottom end) and its easy to make power out of them. Id say stick with a windsor unless your rich or want to be different...

I searched for quite a while to find my 70 Mach 1 with a 4v cleveland, seemed like all 4v's i got to see were Windsors.70 owners like to tell you that they are Rarer with the Windsor fitted.

Anyway I love my Clevo & some of these older aussie Mechanics can get em crakin'. The only thing i wanted from my mechanic was the Original, valley cover, rocker covers, air filter housing & exhaust manifolds to stay. The rest i left to him, sure we could have brought parts off the shelf & got a little better performance, but i wanted it to @ least look right.

WE went roller cam,lifters, rockers.30thou Bore,decked the block, tunnel bore,Balanced the crank & rods,Plenty of head work,780 holley street avenger, MSD ignition @ he fitted plates to the exhaust side of the heads to give them better flow & more power right through the rev range.

When we get her running I'll post the dyno card to see how good this old school mechanic is.(to be fair I did tell him this has to be nice to drive on the street)

With the Windsors my 65 A code convertible has the original 289 in her. It is soooo smoooooth.It makes me smile every time i fire her up.