Sign in to follow this  
69gmachine

Questions for the Shelby guys.

Hey GMachine, not to side track your topic but I see you have the late model mach type rims in staggered sizes on your car. Did you get them at the same place and if so, where? Now that I see they are available in 17x9 as well as 17x8 I have been reconsidering them but I can't seem to find anyone who offers both. I know 8 is original and the 9 seems to be made by wheel replicas but I can't tell if only the center cap is different or not.

Thanks.

The 17x8 front rims are genuine Ford that I bought from Tire Rack with the tires already mounted. The 17x9 rears are replicas. I bought a set of the running pony center caps so they all appear factory. The rears came chrome with painted centers. The Ford rims are all chrome. I painted the centers myself and it shows. I'm planning to have them painted professionally so they match the rears.

69gmachine,

I saw that you made your own...... got any extras? Do you have pictures of your firewall master? Do you have part #'s of the slaves or know who might have a similar kit? I don't want to go with a hydraulic TO bearing. The car is all done but I can't drive it to try out my new 392 stroker until I find something. Your car looks great. I plan on autocrossing and open trakin' also when I'ts all done.

Thanks,

Tom

I searched for pics but I don't have anything that shows the clutch master as it's buried below the brake booster and behind the distribution block and adjustable proportioning valve. I do have another AFCO master cylinder, but I only had one mounting bracket made. The bore is 3/4", and would make pedal effort very light, but there wasn't enough travel to fully engage the clutch. By adding the 1.7:1 lever arm I now have enough travel, but it made the pedal much stiffer. I don't mind if it's a little bit stiff. I didn't like the feel of the pedal before because it was too soft for my taste. This isn't a DD anymore, and I don't plan to be in traffic very often. That would get old.

You're going to love the 392!:thumbup1:

69gmachine,

I saw that you made your own...... got any extras? Do you have pictures of your firewall master? Do you have part #'s of the slaves or know who might have a similar kit? I don't want to go with a hydraulic TO bearing. The car is all done but I can't drive it to try out my new 392 stroker until I find something. Your car looks great. I plan on autocrossing and open trakin' also when I'ts all done.

Thanks,

Tom

I searched for pics but I don't have anything that shows the clutch master as it's buried below the brake booster and behind the distribution block and adjustable proportioning valve. I do have another AFCO master cylinder, but I only had one mounting bracket made. The bore is 3/4", and would make pedal effort very light, but there wasn't enough travel to fully engage the clutch. By adding the 1.7:1 lever arm I now have enough travel, but it made the pedal much stiffer. I don't mind if it's a little bit stiff. I didn't like the feel of the pedal before because it was too soft for my taste. This isn't a DD anymore, and I don't plan to be in traffic very often. That would get old.

You're going to love the 392!:thumbup1:

The 17x8 front rims are genuine Ford that I bought from Tire Rack with the tires already mounted. The 17x9 rears are replicas. I bought a set of the running pony center caps so they all appear factory. The rears came chrome with painted centers. The Ford rims are all chrome. I painted the centers myself and it shows. I'm planning to have them painted professionally so they match the rears.

Hunh, I know originally the ford rim was polished and black and they offer an all chrome model now as well so I wonder if they don't make the original anymore? Since you can interchange the center caps sounds like this would be ideal if they still offer it.

So I assume you needed spacers, like maybe 1/2" up front and an 1" outback?

Hunh, I know originally the ford rim was polished and black and they offer an all chrome model now as well so I wonder if they don't make the original anymore? Since you can interchange the center caps sounds like this would be ideal if they still offer it.

69gmachine,

I've been waiting since March to get a JMC hydraulic clutch kit for my Tremec 3550. I saw that you made your own...... got any extras? Do you have pictures of your firewall master? Do you have part #'s of the slaves or know who might have a similar kit? I don't want to go with a hydraulic TO bearing. The car is all done but I can't drive it to try out my new 392 stroker until I find something. Your car looks great. I plan on autocrossing and open trakin' also when I'ts all done.

Thanks,

Tom

Here is a thread on Stangnet that might help you with your clutch problem.

http://forums.stangnet.com/757086-anybody-used-stock-ford-parts-hydraulic-clutch.html

69gmachine,

I've been waiting since March to get a JMC hydraulic clutch kit for my Tremec 3550. I saw that you made your own...... got any extras? Do you have pictures of your firewall master? Do you have part #'s of the slaves or know who might have a similar kit? I don't want to go with a hydraulic TO bearing. The car is all done but I can't drive it to try out my new 392 stroker until I find something. Your car looks great. I plan on autocrossing and open trakin' also when I'ts all done.

Thanks,

Tom

Here is a thread on Stangnet that might help you with your clutch problem.

http://forums.stangnet.com/757086-anybody-used-stock-ford-parts-hydraulic-clutch.html

With the Wilwood hubs I only need 1/2" spacers up front, but with the 17x9 rear wheels no spacers are needed.

The original Ford Mach 1 wheels were grey with machined rims.

i couldn't find replica wheels that matched.

With the Wilwood hubs I only need 1/2" spacers up front, but with the 17x9 rear wheels no spacers are needed.

The original Ford Mach 1 wheels were grey with machined rims.

i couldn't find replica wheels that matched.

Thanks for the additional info on different clutch options. I forgot my password on that website, but once I get it , I'll dig deeper into the forums.

Millville N.J. just built a new motorsports park and SAAC is having their 33rd annual national convention there on Aug 15-17. There will be dozens of original Cobras, GT40's, Trans Am Mustangs, Shelbys, and high performance Fords there. There will be Vintage racing, open track events, and car shows all weekend long. Not too far from you, is it? My car might not be together by then, but me and my wife are staying near Thunderbolt raceway to check out the action. More info on www.saac.com or on www.saacforum.com

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks for the additional info on different clutch options. I forgot my password on that website, but once I get it , I'll dig deeper into the forums.

Millville N.J. just built a new motorsports park and SAAC is having their 33rd annual national convention there on Aug 15-17. There will be dozens of original Cobras, GT40's, Trans Am Mustangs, Shelbys, and high performance Fords there. There will be Vintage racing, open track events, and car shows all weekend long. Not too far from you, is it? My car might not be together by then, but me and my wife are staying near Thunderbolt raceway to check out the action. More info on www.saac.com or on www.saacforum.com

Thanks,

Tom