Sign in to follow this  
69fstback

toploader? C-4

So i have a c-4 behind my 351 450hpW but it is on its way out. I have a close ratio 4 spd toploader sitting in my garage that need refreshening. I also have a 69 pedal assembly that was on a 3 speed but it should work right? How hard is it to make the converison to a 4 speed toploader. I want to keep my center console is it possible and what else do i need? The trans mount? Crossmember?

or

Should i just get a c-4 built from my local transmission shop he build proformance trans

The swap should be fairly easy. The pedal assembly will work fine but before you install it do the bearing conversion on it. Not sure about the crossmember but I think any one for a manual should be ok. I went from 3 speed to a 4 and don't remember changing the crossmember. The console will work but will need the insert around the shifter for a manual. Since you're converting from auto to manual consider a cable or hyd clutch conversion. The factory mechanical linkage usually has issues with header clearance and the equalizer bar tends to twist or bend over time.

the c4 crossmember is the same as the manual trans one. the console will work with no mods but you'll have a small gap between the shifter boot and the bottom of the console bezel and you might have some slight interference if you use the standard ford shifter but you should be fine if you use a hurst shifter. i don't know if the c4 and 4 speed drivehafts are the same length or not and you'll probably need a different front yoke for toploader as well, a cable or hydro clutch is a good idea as is the roller bearing conversion for the pedal assembly