Sign in to follow this  
killinstang351

brake light

Don't run new wires or hack up the harness yet. Just do simple checks first. Are you getting power to the switch? Do you have a good ground for the lights? Usualy electrical problems on early cars are simple if you do some checking. Get a cheap test light and just start checking at the begining of the brake light circuit (fuse box then switch ect).

Don't run new wires or hack up the harness yet. Just do simple checks first. Are you getting power to the switch? Do you have a good ground for the lights? Usualy electrical problems on early cars are simple if you do some checking. Get a cheap test light and just start checking at the begining of the brake light circuit (fuse box then switch ect).

First download the 69 wiring diagram at http://midlife66.com/wiring/wiring.html and I'll be referirng to it....

It's kind of weird how this circuit works, but I'll start with the rear of the car and work forward.... Wiring harness and connectors are on the driver's side in the trunk.

Look in the trunk for the following wires....

Green - With Orange stripe left stop light

Orange - With Blue Stripe Right stop light

Take your volt meter and with the brake pedal down + to either wire and other probe to ground. See if you have 12 volt + if not.... Next

Both wires run from the brake lights to the connectors, then to the "Direction Signal & Hazard Switch Connector... All this on diagram (69Must)

From the "Direction Signal & Hazard Switch Connector there's a wire that doesn't list a color but could be Green - With Red Stripe that wire goes to the headlight switch and the wire is connected with the Green - With Red Stripe and goes from the headlight switch to the Brake Light Switch in diagram (69Must2) from the Brake Light Switch there's a Green wire that goes back to the "Direction Signal & Hazard Connector" in diagram (69MUST).... There has to be 12+ on Green wire or the Green - With Red Stripe wire... if not I would look inside the "Direction Signal & Hazard" where the 12+ is and if there is then why is it not soing out on one of those 2 wires..... Let me know what you find....

First download the 69 wiring diagram at http://midlife66.com/wiring/wiring.html and I'll be referirng to it....

It's kind of weird how this circuit works, but I'll start with the rear of the car and work forward.... Wiring harness and connectors are on the driver's side in the trunk.

Look in the trunk for the following wires....

Green - With Orange stripe left stop light

Orange - With Blue Stripe Right stop light

Take your volt meter and with the brake pedal down + to either wire and other probe to ground. See if you have 12 volt + if not.... Next

Both wires run from the brake lights to the connectors, then to the "Direction Signal & Hazard Switch Connector... All this on diagram (69Must)

From the "Direction Signal & Hazard Switch Connector there's a wire that doesn't list a color but could be Green - With Red Stripe that wire goes to the headlight switch and the wire is connected with the Green - With Red Stripe and goes from the headlight switch to the Brake Light Switch in diagram (69Must2) from the Brake Light Switch there's a Green wire that goes back to the "Direction Signal & Hazard Connector" in diagram (69MUST).... There has to be 12+ on Green wire or the Green - With Red Stripe wire... if not I would look inside the "Direction Signal & Hazard" where the 12+ is and if there is then why is it not soing out on one of those 2 wires..... Let me know what you find....