Sign in to follow this  
james the flame

speedometer won't work

Ok fellows, I have the dash out of my 69 mach 1. I am trying to get my gas gauge to work. I grounded the wire at the sending unit and the gauge did not work. All fuses check ok. Does the gauge work off the printed circuit?? I have 2 gauge light bulbs that work.Everything else on the car works.Lights,turn signal,brake lights under dash lights,door lights, sail panel lights, even turn signals in the hood..I will need to replace the wiper switch. It is burned up. Any suggestions how to test or repair the gas gauge?? There is a bad looking place on the circuit that could be causing a problem. Can you purchase new printed circuits??? Please advise and thanks again, James

Ok fellows, I have the dash out of my 69 mach 1. I am trying to get my gas gauge to work. I grounded the wire at the sending unit and the gauge did not work. All fuses check ok. Does the gauge work off the printed circuit?? I have 2 gauge light bulbs that work.Everything else on the car works.Lights,turn signal,brake lights under dash lights,door lights, sail panel lights, even turn signals in the hood..I will need to replace the wiper switch. It is burned up. Any suggestions how to test or repair the gas gauge?? There is a bad looking place on the circuit that could be causing a problem. Can you purchase new printed circuits??? Please advise and thanks again, James

Hi James did you measure the fuel sending unit??? Set your volt/ohms meter to ohms and put one lead on where the wire attaches to the fuel sending unit and the other lead to ground or base of the round part of the sending unit....

73 Ohms = Empty

10 Ohms = Full

Just in case it's the sending unit and not the gauge......

Hi James did you measure the fuel sending unit??? Set your volt/ohms meter to ohms and put one lead on where the wire attaches to the fuel sending unit and the other lead to ground or base of the round part of the sending unit....

73 Ohms = Empty

10 Ohms = Full

Just in case it's the sending unit and not the gauge......

jerry, I completly bypassed the sending unit by romoving the wire from the sending unit and grounding it to the frame with a jumper wire. That should make the gas guage move to the FULL position but it did not move at all. Do you see what I did?? What do you think?? Thanks, James

jerry, I completly bypassed the sending unit by romoving the wire from the sending unit and grounding it to the frame with a jumper wire. That should make the gas guage move to the FULL position but it did not move at all. Do you see what I did?? What do you think?? Thanks, James

James, I currently have the same situation. Except none of my gauges work. If you hook up your dash cluster(make sure its grounded), you take a 9v battery & a jumper wire and hook it together onto the connector(Yellow/white wire) that goes to your sending unit. If your gauge moves, then your wire gauge is good & it is your sending unit. If it doesn't move it could be the gauge( make sure posts on back of instrument cluster aren't touching any part of the housing), also make sure your Voltage regulator on the back of the instrument cluster is reading voltage. you can test it with a meter. Lastly if you need a new printed circuit board, you can order one from National Parts depot. Good Luck.. I'm still working on my electrical gremlins!!

James, I currently have the same situation. Except none of my gauges work. If you hook up your dash cluster(make sure its grounded), you take a 9v battery & a jumper wire and hook it together onto the connector(Yellow/white wire) that goes to your sending unit. If your gauge moves, then your wire gauge is good & it is your sending unit. If it doesn't move it could be the gauge( make sure posts on back of instrument cluster aren't touching any part of the housing), also make sure your Voltage regulator on the back of the instrument cluster is reading voltage. you can test it with a meter. Lastly if you need a new printed circuit board, you can order one from National Parts depot. Good Luck.. I'm still working on my electrical gremlins!!