Sign in to follow this  
UnrulySchoolboy

T5 or AOD Conversion, Can't Decide!

So for my summer project, I'm looking into replacing the transmission with something better. My car has a C4 in it right now so it would be easiest/most affordable to swap in an AOD.

However, I really want a 5 speed manual but the biggest problem I see with it is the extra cost, especially associated with all the original clutch parts like the pedal assembly. Now I know DB Performance Engineering out of Southern California made a Pedal Assembly/Cable Clutch Kit all in one but I haven't been able to find anything out about it including price, or find the manufacturers site or a place to buy one. Anybody know anything about this kit because if its more affordable then I don't see any problems putting a T5 in. Also just to make sure, there is no cutting the tunnel to get the shifter to fit correct, and what shifters are best to use with this conversion, especially if I'm looking for the vintage appearance.

And for if I can't do that, I was planning on going with an AOD out of a 5.0 and installing a TCI Valve Body and an A+ servo, also I would use a Master Rebuild kit with all the good stuff (Like This). Then I would tie it all into the stock shifter. This Site (Link Here) has an install kit towards the bottom of the page and I think that would cover everything. I think this would be pretty nice of a setup but still no 5 speed. Anyways let me know what you think, any opinions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Dont know what your finances are, BUT if you really want a 5 speed then go for it! It`s a blast to go through the gears, so if you need to save a little more for the T5 conversion then do it. Life is to short!! HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Just as a side note..

I am in the same boat after finding out that the C4 that I just installed into my fastback was no good (frozen). I had a t5 laying around just waiting for a rebuild and I am in the middle of that right now actually.

I could not afford the crazy prices of 69 clutch pedal assembly, so I thought I would see if I could make the 68 assembly I had laying around, work. It fit fine, the only thing I had to do was to remove the pedal return spring from the pedal as it hit the fuse box.

Cheap fix! 67-68's are more plentiful and cheaper on the ebay.

hth in some way.

Rob

That's awesome to hear. How's it work and it just bolted right in? How about for power brakes? And what did you do about having to remove the clutch return spring?

Yeah, after removing the return spring perch it slipped right it. There is a small "c" style clip that clips on the other end of the shaft that goes through the brake assembly. As far as power brakes goes, my car has power brakes and everything clears under the dash just fine.

For the return spring, I will either fab something up and run a spring that pulls the clutch up from the front rather than the back. Or I may run a cable clutch and count on the pressure plate to return the pedal.

Rob

Well I was thinking instead of a spring that maybe a short bungee cord would provide you with the tension you need and being a cord would move around the obstructions. Not really sure but might be an idea.

That's a good idea. The problem with the fuse box was not the spring hitting it but rather the spring perch on the pedal, so it had to come off. I am going to get under the dash here in the next few days and I will snao some pictures and also see what I can come up with for a return spring.

Stay tuned!

Rob