Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bswor

Mustang Wiki Discussion

Thats why the wiki is hosted off site so it is not just the 69/70 wiki. But if we are the only ones that contribute to it then thats fine. I'm fairly sure that will not happen but i do think it will take time to blossom just like everything else.

I could change the navigation on the wiki but what belongs there? You would not link to every article etc.

As far as migrating our users over to the wiki thats a good idea in theory but the database is HUGE and I dont feel comfortable handing that file over to anyone since it contains each users passwords and personal information. And you dont have to sign up to contribute to the wiki.

I would imagine that once there is more contribution to the wiki, then information can be categorized for further ease of searching, much like how wikipedia and others have established their wiki's.

I did a search on the wiki, and found no result for production stats, and then added 1969 production stats, only to find that they had been added previously. I have registered with the site and tried to take my post off, but have not been able to do so.

Feel free to edit as you like.

Bill

Thats why the wiki is hosted off site so it is not just the 69/70 wiki. But if we are the only ones that contribute to it then thats fine. I'm fairly sure that will not happen but i do think it will take time to blossom just like everything else.

I could change the navigation on the wiki but what belongs there? You would not link to every article etc.

As far as migrating our users over to the wiki thats a good idea in theory but the database is HUGE and I dont feel comfortable handing that file over to anyone since it contains each users passwords and personal information. And you dont have to sign up to contribute to the wiki.

Hello,

Regarding the navigation...possibly just link to each year as in

1964.5-1966

1967-1968

1969-1970

1971-1973

etc...

and then those links in turn would be a main intro page/ link page for items that deal with those specific years.

Hey no worries regarding the migration...

If they are both hosted in mysql (I'm guessing since it is php) you could use a mysql manager attach to both databases and run a query to import the relevant information from one to the other.

If you decide you want some help let me know, even if it is just helping to write the query (for that I only need database schema information...table name, column names, data types, etc... and no personal information).

Marc Cramer

Ok now that is a great idea cramer, i will look into doing that this coming weekend.

The reason I don't want to migrate the users is because many of those users are no longer active members and some are banned bots. I would have liked to migrate the forum accounts with the gallery accounts but I think that would cause some problems now since users have different accounts for both.

Is there a way to have an account automatically created in gallery when a user signs up for the forums?

In the beginning I had wanted one single login for the main page (joomla) , the forums (now vbulletin), and the gallery. To bad you weren't around then. :)

Ok now that is a great idea cramer, i will look into doing that this coming weekend.

The reason I don't want to migrate the users is because many of those users are no longer active members and some are banned bots. I would have liked to migrate the forum accounts with the gallery accounts but I think that would cause some problems now since users have different accounts for both.

Is there a way to have an account automatically created in gallery when a user signs up for the forums?

In the beginning I had wanted one single login for the main page (joomla) , the forums (now vbulletin), and the gallery. To bad you weren't around then. :)

Hello,

Not sure what the gallery is but I'm guessing it would be a matter of adding a trigger (an action that happens when criteria is met) to the vbulletin user table that when a row is added/updated you then transfer those changes to the gallery user table so that the gallery login info is auto created/in sync with the login info for vbulletin.

Or you could possibly dig through the php code and change the gallery login query to use the vbulletin user table for authetication.

Does that make sense?

Marc

Marc,

That makes some sense to me but I only know enough about sql databases to get me by. Both do use sql databases so then it sounds like it is a possibility. I was more curious then anything. Good information to know for the future though.

Thanks.

Contributors shouldn't feel like they have to write a literary masterpice in order to offer something of value. Throw something out there to get things started - warts and all.

It should generally be much easier for other contributors to edit your work than to start fresh with their own.

A wiki is all about collaboration.

Contributors shouldn't feel like they have to write a literary masterpice in order to offer something of value. Throw something out there to get things started - warts and all.

It should generally be much easier for other contributors to edit your work than to start fresh with their own.

A wiki is all about collaboration.

Bravo sir. Anything is better than nothing at all.

I noticed that someone took some information from wikipedia itself and added it to the wiki. I don't think there is actually anything legally wrong with this since wikipedia operates under an open license and is edited by people like you and me.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Text_of_the_GNU_Free_Documentation_License

"The purpose of this License is to make a manual, textbook, or other functional and useful document "free" in the sense of freedom: to assure everyone the effective freedom to copy and redistribute it, with or without modifying it, either commercially or noncommercially."

So if you do find something that is actually useful its not a big deal to copy it over.

I noticed that there has not been any changes to the wiki in the past 7 days. So i think we should have a discussion on creating our 1969 Ford Mustang wiki entry. What information to include etc etc.

I have posted some how to questions, but no one has responded to them. Since there is no index of sorts, it is either hit or miss. I was hoping that someone would post a response to the how to section, and then i would edit it to take out the question.

It may just take some time before the comfort level is there. You cna also migrate some of the responses from postings on the 69 stang into the wiki.

Just some suggestions,

Bill from Ottawa

Where are you posting the How to Questions? On the wiki? I haven't seen the questions if you have. The only way I can see anything is to go to the 'Special Pages' link at the bottom and then click 'All Pages'.

I think it would be easier for now at least to have some type of index. I know I got tired of randomly searching for things entered already real fast, it was a little frustrating. Once we cover the majority of topics an index wouldn't be as necessary. Even if it was just broken down into several sections to organize what was added like say General Info, technical info, etc.....