Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rwcstang

wheel/tires problem

well a friend of mine has a 69 coupe, and recently purchased a set of wheels the torque thrust they are 17x8's rear:245 45's and 235's 45 in the front, but there is a problem, when turning one side of the wheel doesnt rub the front valance, but the passanger side does, and where trying to figure out what could be the source im thinking the upper A arm is broken maybe? before his dad fixed it that a-arm cuz it did the same thing when it had the regular 15 wheels any solutions?

well a friend of mine has a 69 coupe, and recently purchased a set of wheels the torque thrust they are 17x8's rear:245 45's and 235's 45 in the front, but there is a problem, when turning one side of the wheel doesnt rub the front valance, but the passanger side does, and where trying to figure out what could be the source im thinking the upper A arm is broken maybe? before his dad fixed it that a-arm cuz it did the same thing when it had the regular 15 wheels any solutions?

Sorry I don't know much on front end steering, but one of my friends had problem about the same..... His problem was one side would turn sharper than the other. Is your turning radius the same both left and right? Just an ideal.

Sorry I don't know much on front end steering, but one of my friends had problem about the same..... His problem was one side would turn sharper than the other. Is your turning radius the same both left and right? Just an ideal.

prolly not, but i think he is going to get a wheel alignment and also check out the upper a-arm i think thats the main source cuz it has happened before even with the stock wheel, what happened is by accident he went over a pot hole to fast and some how the bar in the middle of the a-arm slipped out or broke but his dad fixed it, but he just bought a new suspension/steering kit so he is going to install it this weekend.

prolly not, but i think he is going to get a wheel alignment and also check out the upper a-arm i think thats the main source cuz it has happened before even with the stock wheel, what happened is by accident he went over a pot hole to fast and some how the bar in the middle of the a-arm slipped out or broke but his dad fixed it, but he just bought a new suspension/steering kit so he is going to install it this weekend.

It's normal to have 1 wheel more forward in the wheel well than the other. This is done on purpose as part of the alignment process.

I'm drawing a blank tho as to why....it made a lot sense when explained to me.. I just forgot. :(

It's normal to have 1 wheel more forward in the wheel well than the other. This is done on purpose as part of the alignment process.

I'm drawing a blank tho as to why....it made a lot sense when explained to me.. I just forgot. :(

the caster is set different on both sides of the car, they do this to compensate for road crown and they do it by adjusting the strut rod all the way (or close to it) on one side, usually the passenger side. when he has it aligned tell them NOT to compensate for road crown and don't let them talk him into it. the car may pull a little to one side on a road with a really high crown but on a nice flat road the car will drive straight as an arrow.

this is very common problem on old mustangs, when they set the caster really high with the strut rod adjustment it pulls the tire into the valance. you can also set the caster higher to improve steering return and high speed stability by using shims on the front upper control arm bolts. i've done this myself and it's a much better way to do it, also keeps the wheelbase the same on both sides of the car. FYI adjusting the strut rods actually changes the length of the wheelbase.

the caster is set different on both sides of the car, they do this to compensate for road crown and they do it by adjusting the strut rod all the way (or close to it) on one side, usually the passenger side. when he has it aligned tell them NOT to compensate for road crown and don't let them talk him into it. the car may pull a little to one side on a road with a really high crown but on a nice flat road the car will drive straight as an arrow.

this is very common problem on old mustangs, when they set the caster really high with the strut rod adjustment it pulls the tire into the valance. you can also set the caster higher to improve steering return and high speed stability by using shims on the front upper control arm bolts. i've done this myself and it's a much better way to do it, also keeps the wheelbase the same on both sides of the car. FYI adjusting the strut rods actually changes the length of the wheelbase.