Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rstbkt69

valve cover size

I get to pick my engine up from the builders tomorrow and I had just realized I will need some taller valve covers due to the cam and comp cam rocker arms. When I started looking for them I noticed that only a few of them give me any indication of size. I have seen some called tall, some are 4 inches and some are 3.5 inches. I don't know how a measurement is taken to determine how tall the stock ones are to make sure I get bigger ones. I'd like some FRP Mustang satin with polished ribs but most catalogs don't mention a size. Are the ones that don't mention a size the stock size? Thanks

If you look at my engine pics in my gallery i am running the same cam & roller rockers as you are. If the my valve covers are the ones you like you will have to double gasket them or have an aluminium shim machined to accomodate them because the rockers will touch they are 3 in. the ones I am looking to buy are at this link http://www.mustang-unl.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=M6582E302R+01 this is the profile depth that you are looking at (3.75-4 in.). To be sure I would measure your heads from the face to the top of your rockers, but I'm sure that you will need 3.75 inchers to avoid what I had to do. Good Luck!

this is what I used for my roller rocker setup, needed the talls to clear, and I am also going with EFI as well, figured I would throw in a pic of the heads as well to show the height of my rockers. The third pic is with my old oil pan, so just ignore that. But it gives a better view of the valve covers. Pretty much the same style as what reaper runs, just a different paint job.

Thanks for the info guys.I'm betting the covers I ordered won't fit now, but I did ask the person I talked to specifically about clearance and he said he had used them with roller rockers himself. I guess I'll have to see. He said they were 3.5 to 4 but he didn't remember exactly. BUt no prob they will take them back if they don't clear. Jim

I've got the exact same ones and thay clear my scorpio roller tip rockers fine...hey reaper, where exactly are you from in that great city of ours? I'n in Laval..

I am also in Laval. What a small world.

this is what I used for my roller rocker setup, needed the talls to clear, and I am also going with EFI as well, figured I would throw in a pic of the heads as well to show the height of my rockers. The third pic is with my old oil pan, so just ignore that. But it gives a better view of the valve covers. Pretty much the same style as what reaper runs, just a different paint job.

Nice set up, I like it. Interesting AFR heads, these flow great tell me how you like them once you fire them up. You are tempting me with your valve covers though, nice :001_tt1:!!!