Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69mustang351W

Disc brake piston

I tried to get the piston in the caliber to the bottom to get the caliber over the rotor with new shoes, but it wouldnt. I gave it great pressure, but it didnt help. Ill soon loose the bleeder screw, and try to push it to the bottom.

Does anyone have another advices what to do to get it to the bottom?

The piston bore may have a ridge or some build up behind it that is keeping it from going all the way back. I've used a c-clamp before to push the piston back in. Of course if there is a ridge or bad bore forcing the piston back can cause a leak later on.

-Stephen

Agree with Protowrxs, I've used a c-clamp to ensure is all the way back. Its helpful if you put an old pad in from of the piston cup instead of the clamp screw on the cup iteself. This ensures the piston only to go back as far as absolutely necessary. Also make sure your bleeder screw is wide open.

If it doesnt move back far enough ~ I wouldn't force it but if your handy rather look to rebuilding. The seals are cheap in so long as the piston and caliper are still within specs (no ridges or severe scratches). Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

I had to remove the caliber and deliver it to a Ford workshop, and they used a big vice to press the piston to the bottom.The piston was moving very slow. I drove the mustang after I had mounted the caliber, and bleeded the brake, just by let the brake fluid move thru the tube and hose. The brakes were working well I guess.