Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flying Ace

Sheet Metal Gauges Question for Welding

What's the typical gauge metal in each of the areas like the floor pans, fenders, quarters, etc..?

I just got a new MIG welder (Hobart 187) and did some practice welds for the very first time on very thin gauge metal 18 - 20 gauge with limited success and some burn through using .030 solid wire with 75-25 gas. I'm starting to think I need lots of practice before I touch anything on the car. I have been able to lay an occasional good bead, but I have to move quick, too quick for my liking.

I read somewhere that .025 would be better wire to use on sheet metal?

Just looking for some tips.

Thanks.

I would definitely recommend using .025, you can use it for the whole car. If you are getting burn through on your floors and stuff, or that thickness, you are probably best to turn down the heat one setting and subsequently slow down the speed of the wire feed. Keep practicing as it takes a while to get to know the settings of your welder. For thicker metals such as the frame rails and shock towers, you can still use .025 wire, but you will definitely have to increase your heat and speed. Good luck.

IMO if you welding floor pans and such, your better off stich welding instead of trying to run a bead. Stich welding is a bunch of tack stack on top of each other. So you place a tack, wait a second place another tack right next to the previous one, you want to try and place the adjacent tack while the previous one is still glowing. This is just my opinion and this is what I have been doing welding two pieces of 18 gauge together. Now if your welding 18 to a thick piece then you can try running a bead.

Stich welding will allow you to keep the heat setting turned up and give you better pentration. A few other hints are make sure the metal is clean and free of paint and other stuff, and wipe down the welding area with acetone before you weld. I use the second lowest setting and a wire speed of 3-4 on my lincoln 175 and I use .30 wire with 75/25 gas mix.