Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZonaMuscle

Ignition set-up

Well my first question is, i have decided to convert from points to electric ignition. I have a 302 engine, and was wondering what kind of distrubter i should get?? When it comes to ignition, im very lost. :surrender: Also my car has no ignition system on it. No coil, no nothing. What all do i need to get the ignition complete i.e. Coil?Module?Resistor? seems to be some many things out there. Im kinda going for a weekend driver with abit of performance. if that helps.

thanks fellas

If your current distributor is fine then I would say just order the correct Pertronix kit for your set up and get their flame thrower coil as well. Simple, fast and effective.

Pertronix is a great way to go as long as your distributor is in good working order. You just take out the points and drop in the ignition module and fit it with a good coil. I would maybe recommend having a spare module if you go on any long road trips. I have heard stories of them wearing out prematurely. Aside from that, if you dont even have a distributor, any of the other companys sell good systems such as Mallory or MSD and they generally come with pretty good instructions. Pertronix is definately the more affordable of the variations. Good luck.

MSD Ready to Run. Had Pertonix for awhile and seem good. I later starting having a problem which pointed to distributor and vacuum advance - figured it was 37 years old and served it purpose. Switched over to MSD ready to run and very happry with upgrade.

one of the best ignition upgrades you can do to an old ford and doesn't cost a lot of money is to use a duraspark dizzy from a 76-80 or so ford and an MSD 6a box. use the msd connector harness and wiring it in is very straightforward and easy to do.

Ive been trying to look for a place to purchase or to look at these duraspark dizzy system. Anyone know where i can but one or see a pic of it.

Also what do you guys think of Mallory Distrubtors?? I was thinking about this one, Mallory Unilite distributor vacuum advance.

I have a Unilite, mechanical advance only though. Works fine, never had any problems with it (thought I did, but upon replacing things, realized there never was a problem with it, hehe).

Folks report some about the module going out on it, and have sworn to carry around an old-style points dizzy "just in case".

Of course, I could probably see the same type of complaints about MSD or any other brand, and never hear a word from the satisfied customers.

vacuum advance provides incresed fuel mileage and better around town driveability. most people that have the mechanical advance only dizzies say that they really didn't notice much of a difference but still some.

you can buy a durasparsk dizzy for around 50 bucks from advance auto parts.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=A1C&MfrPartNumber=302899&PartType=218&PTSet=A

then add an MSD or Mallory ignition box and you'll have a good ignition system for not a lot of dough. summit even sells their own less expensive ignition box as well now for about $125

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400304+322383

then just add an MSD blaster coil for about 45 bucks and some decent plug wires and you're good to go.

i have a mallory unilite conversion in my stock original dizzy and it works well but i think the magnetic pickup of the duraspark dizzy is better and more reliable not that i've had any real problems with my mallory module but they did have a few batches of bad modules back in the early to mid 90's and i popped a couple back then, the new ones have much better quality control now but once you've been bit it's hard to stay loyal to something. that said, i wouldn't hesitate to install another one in a different car because they are much cheaper than buying a complete new mallory, msd, etc dizzy but the duraspark dizzy itself is even less expensive though you will either need to convert to the whole duraspark ignition system or use an MSD, Mallory, etc ignition box, so in the end it will cost a little more than just the unilite conversion but you'll have a better ignition system. you could add the same stuff to a unilite conversion dizzy but you're still talking even more money to go that route, if you want the better box

Ok so let me get this straight.

1st Option - MSD Ready to Run 363.95 w/ Blaster Coil 38.88. around $400

2nd Option - Duraspark Dizzy, that link got me to a Cardone Distrubtor? Is that the same?? Price 38.99 and Accel Box 223.99 around $270

3rd Option - Mallory Unilite 245.95 w/ Blaster Coil 38.88 & resistor 14.88 and Power Filter 36.88/ Around $340

Those look like my options so far. Also with those options is there anything i left out or would that be everything i need that i listed with each option.

Im not to sure about the Ignition Module/Box. When do i need it, when dont i. I dont understand why some systems you need it and others you dont. Or Do you alway need it. I think im confusing myself. I guess what i really need to know is what exactly i need to have a complete ignition system, besides plugs and wires.

bnickel, that has to be the absolute longest run-on sentence I've ever seen.

BTW, if you're interested: there's a Mallory Unilite Points Conversion dizzy for sale over on FordFE for $125.

wow, yeah you're right. some of those commas should have been periods. i guess that's what happens when you don't pay attention to what you're typing.

I just did my system with the following.

Rebuilt dizzy from Autozone - $50

MSD Blaster II coil from JEGS - ~$40

Mallory Plug Wires from JEGS - ~$30

Pertronix Ignitor II from JEGS - ~$109

The install has a difficulty rating of 2 out of 10, very easy to do. The pertronix is a great, cheap, easy to install that works great.