Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69coupe

Shorting the steering column.

Has anyone thought of this or have done this before. I am tearing my car down and was thinking about the thread about using a smaller steering wheel for more arm and leg room. If 2-3 inches where cut out of the column tube near the top and the steering shaft shorted at the rag joint 2-3 inches and the rag joint being pressed back on and or welded or have a machine shop put any slines back on.. It should work?? I think it would be easier drive if you had the wheel 2-3 inches closer to the dash.

How is the column shaft attached to the rag joint housing.

Just to let you know the column shaft is 2 pieces and will collapse or expand. So once you cut your steering column tube to length, just collapse the shaft enough to bolt the rag joint to the steering box. You might pull the two pieces apart and lube them up good so they slide easily when you go to bolt the rag joint together. I had to do this when taking one steering column from a car and mounting it in my car, as for some reason the shafts were at two different lengths. It may have been from a cougar. For those with a 70 column, it might get a bit harder to do since the ignition switch is mounted on the column.

Also make sure you are cutting from the top of the tube, because if you cut from the bottom of the tube you might have problems with the bracketry from the column to the lower dash. Keep in mind you'll have to cut the column trim that wraps around the column between the steering wheel and the dash trim.

I'm not sure if this will increase leg clearance, because i think it will be moving the steering wheel closer to the front edge of the seat.

I just had my steering column apart this last week to get it powder coated. If you cut the top of the tube the little bolts that hold the two top pieces to the column and keep your wheel from coming off in your hands will get cut off. There is only about 1/4 inch of metal where the special little bolt heads grab. Cutting it from the bottom would work better but the mount that holds to the bracketry behind the dash has a couple of guides that fit into a grove on the bottom side of the tube and a smaller slot on the top. For the column mount to hold properly these would need to be lengthened. I believe that this would allow for the design to collapse as needed during an impact instead of sliding through and getting closer to the drivers chest. There is also an inner tube that would need to be shortened also.

Jim

You'd have to cut a section of tube out and re-weld it back together. The inner shafts are ment to slide inside of each other and may not need to be shortened. Also keep in mind that there are plastic trim panels that will need to be modified.

I also had my colum apart this winter. I think you could shorten by about 2", but I really don't see why this would help.

For me the problem is the amount of room between steering wheel and seat cushion. Also, room for my legs under the dash (especially to lift leg to press clutch pedal). Shortening the shaft would make the wheel sit closer to the floor/seat cushion and would make things worse for me.

You could experiment by playing with the steering wheel. My wheel (aftermarket I think) could easily be flipped around so that it sits closer to the dash by about 3".