Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69_302RustangFB

Oil Question??????

Ok, need some help. I was changing the oil on my truck today and found a yellowish slime on the bottom of the oil filler cap and down the inside of the servicing tube. First time I've seen it. Already searched the net didn't come up with anything helpful so I was hoping that some one might have a clue what it might be and any problems too look for.

PS: got my Mustatng back from the shop the other day, is looking good I'll post some pics when I get them developed.

Did the oil look OK?

That slime was probably a result of water and oil mixing.

If the oil looked good, I'd guess it was just condensation. Especially if you've only used it for short trips lately or you are running the engine with no thermostat.

Its an 04 Dodge Dakota my daily driver and the stat is working fine. Oil Looked good and eveything, couldn't find any place that any fluids would be leaking out of or into the oil sys. Spent 3 hours searching the net and finally found a couple of related post on other threads about it, mostly on BMW and VWs. All these post suggested a possible blocked scavenger hose, blown head gasket or cracked head allowing coolent to mix with the oil. Not sure if any of those thing would truely cause it or not. Don't know much about engines yet, but it seems to be running good so I think I'll monitor it for a week or two see if it comes back.

it's not unlikely that if the car is only used on short trips and then sit's for a while that it's condensation. basically, what will happen is the engine doesn't get up to and remain at operating temperature long enough to burn off the condensation that will naturally form inside the engine, especially if has been really moist lately from rain, snow, sleet, fog etc. as long as the coolant is full it's unlikely that it's getting into the oil pan.