Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

70-DropTop

power brake boosters and power conversions

I'm doing the MustangSteve disc brake conversion (4 wheel discs from 4 wheel manual drums) and I'm gathering parts. In addition, I'm converting it to power brakes.

As I see it, I have two options for the power conversion:

1. rebuilt stock booster with 84 SVO 4-wheel disc master cylinder, new pedal, new brake switch.

2. NPD's power conversion kit that uses stock brake pedal and switch.

Obiously, there's more invovled, like proportioning valve and brake parts, but those parts are universal to either approach.

So, do you have any suggestions? Also, is there any real difference between a booster that's crimped or has a band? I'm curious, why are there two types? Is one better?

Thanks!

If you can get away with the stock manual pedal, I think the NPD would be the desirable route. BUT... you may even want to try the new PBR brakes with the manual pedal. With the more efficient calipers and more leverage on the large discs, it isn't more work and might save you the expense and hassle of sorting out the power setup.

Check out this article -

http://www.hotrodheaven.com/tech/brakes/brakes1_index.htm

DARN YOU! :cursing: Now I'm back considering manual discs!

One of my first options considered was the JMC Dual MC. I read mixed reviews on it and that scared me away. I wasn't willing to take a $400 chance on something and not be happy with it, where I could do a tried-and-true route. Really, I read a few reviews where a few folks complained of heavy pedal effort and a few others that were happy. I understand the general physics of what was stated in that article and now I'm back thinking of the JMC setup, again.

By the way, I saw your post on Stangnet, the one where you tell what you bought. You didn't mention if you converted/kept the power booster?

Thanks for the link. :)

for me personally i have to have power brakes, i don't much like non power brakes on anything but that's just me. my next project is going to be a 69 cougar and it too has manual drums which blows me away because it also has ac and power steering but whatever. i'm probably going to go with a setup like the NPD one that uses the stock manual pedal

By the way, I saw your post on Stangnet, the one where you tell what you bought. You didn't mention if you converted/kept the power booster?

Thanks for the link. :)

I decided to keep the power brakes. Like I'm advising to you, I figured I might as well try what I have, and deal with it in a "Phase II" if I don't like it. If in the end I find the brakes are too grabby with the power, I'll deal with it then.

I have not received my brakes yet. (I knew it would take longer since I custom ordered slotted rotors from a company other than Wilwood.) ANd my 9" carrier is apart as I learn how to rebuild it with a truetrac and 3.73s. I'm a few months out from driving it here in the NY winter, such that it is so far.

Thanks for the input. I read through that article, ran my own numbers, and determined that a tandem 7/8 MC would actually be better than the dual 3/4 MC's, if the reservoir is big enough. Wilwood has one for about $200. Add another $40 for the proportioning valve, and that's it. That sure is cheaper than $380 for the JMC unit and $335 for the NPD kit and hoses.

Here's the Wilwood unit:

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/006-MasterCylinders/009-ATCMC/index.asp#

However, I too like power brakes. So, I'm not sure what I want to do. I know that with the NPD setup, I'd be happy...but it's another $60 that could go for something else. On the other hand, if I did the Wilwood 7/8 MC, there's a chance I wouldn't like it. The one thing the JMC unit has is the "cool" factor, but operationally, it is the least efficient of the three (defined by foot pressure needed to get the job done).

Actually, based on my calcs and assumptions (I'd be happy to share if interested), the Wilwood unit would reach wheel lockup with less foot pressure. Where the boosted brakes shine is in normal driving conditions, when you want to tap the brakes to slow things down, not the emergency/brake slam lockup.

I may play test dummy and see how well this works. I also need to verify my assumptions before jumping on this.

I'd say do the power brakes and be done with it. The only hard choice is which kit to go with or setup. Power disc brakes is the number one modification to do to our old cars. Its one of the very first things i did (twice now). I have the mustang steve kit but havent connected everything yet or had a chance to try it out. I previously had some 69 cougar disc brakes and they were well worth the work and the best mod for the money.