Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Protowrxs

D0 351W Head Value

Anyone have any suggestions on the value of a basically stock but complete pair of D0 351W heads would be worth?

They have stock valves, no porting, old crane springs, aluminum retainers, and sur-locks. Still press in studs, maybe 2K miles on since valve job but been sitting for 10+ years.

I have someone interested but don't want to over/under price them.

I see late model 351 heads on ebay all over the board but didn't find any early models yet.

Thanks

-Stephen

I am looking for a set of them for a project i have, cant be later than 7o castings though, which i think are a DO or D7 number. There was a set of them that just went on ebay , and were built with larger valves, stainlenss guides, and the works, for $311, shoulda bought them!!! Adam

Then you are looking for Cx or D0 heads, D7 is for 1977. Like C7 are 1967. This marking is just as often for the year they were first made and not changed until the part was modified or changed. So if you should have a 70 Mustang, you probably have some parts on it marked C6 since the part haven´t had any modifications since then. But some parts has a round stamp with the last two digit of the year inside. My C4 automat has a 79 stamp, but on the serial it has D4. That means that I have a 1979 model tranny but a 1974 pattern. This can be a little bit confusing when looking for old parts.

I've got a set lying around too. Before the aluminum head revolution, the 69-70 351W heads were in demand as the hot bolt-on for their bigger ports and valves. Same thing with 351C 4V heads. The bottom has fallen out now and I've seen good cores go for $75. The shipping is probably more of a pain than it's worth to the seller.

Most think the only desirable 351W heads ranged from 1969-1970, but in reality the heads ran from 1969-1976. It wasn't until 1977 that the 351W head's valves were downsized to the same size as the common (smog headed) 302s of the same era.

The head casting numbers for the desirable '69-'76 351W heads will be; C9OE-B, C9OE-D, D0OE-C, D0OE-G, D0OZ-C or the D5TE-EB truck heads. These all have the larger 1.84" intake, 1.54" exhaust valves compared to the smaller '77-up 351W heads with 1.78" I/1.45" E valves, and have 1/8" wider intake port openings.

Some things that make the desirable 351W heads easy to spot from the outside; 16 intake bolt holes (compared to the 12 bolts found on 289/302 and '77-up 351W heads), 14mm spark plugs compared to the larger 18mm spark plugs.

With the intake off the engine, the desirable 351W heads will have "L-shaped" water passages, compared to the common rectangular-shaped ones.

This was one of the "hot ticket swaps" many years ago, but after the advent of the 5.0L Mustangs by the mid-80s, these 351W heads aren't as good a quality as what you can get out-of-the box from modern day head suppliers like; FRPP, Brodix, AFR, World Products, Trick Flow, etc.

www.ultrastang.com

Thanks for the info guys. Yes, these are D0OE heads.

I ran them on a previous motor. I have a nice set of original HiPo heads that have ported exhaust and these heads that have nice big intakes but crappy exhaust. I ran these to lower the compression on the old setup.

I'm going to end up with either Twisted Wedge or AFRs someday.. Guess I need to decide to keep them or not. I'm sure as soon as I get rid of them I'll need them.. lol

Thanks again for the info all!

-Stephen