Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rangerdoc

steering play

Hello all, new to the site. I've owned my coupe for about 15 years. Shortly after buying it I replaced/upgraded the entire suspension and steering components. This past summer I had the engine rebuilt and while it was out I replaced the steering box with a Flaming River box and also rebuilt the control valve.

Now, the steering used to be ridiculously sloppy prior to all the suspension work. But, it was still not where it needed to be so that is why I replaced the steering box.

So, now that I've finally finished all the steering stuff I'm not sure if I really have stock play or not. Is there a way someone could tell me how to tell what stock steering should feel like. Oh, it's power steering...which is the root of the evil, but I don't want to get rid of it.

Thanks

Hello all, new to the site. I've owned my coupe for about 15 years. Shortly after buying it I replaced/upgraded the entire suspension and steering components. This past summer I had the engine rebuilt and while it was out I replaced the steering box with a Flaming River box and also rebuilt the control valve.

Now, the steering used to be ridiculously sloppy prior to all the suspension work. But, it was still not where it needed to be so that is why I replaced the steering box.

So, now that I've finally finished all the steering stuff I'm not sure if I really have stock play or not. Is there a way someone could tell me how to tell what stock steering should feel like. Oh, it's power steering...which is the root of the evil, but I don't want to get rid of it.

Thanks

You want us to tell you what stock steering play should feel like? It's vague on center, and overboosted, and will never feel like a modern car, but you should not have much wiggle without moving the tires.

What symptoms do you have that prompted the question?

You want us to tell you what stock steering play should feel like? It's vague on center, and overboosted, and will never feel like a modern car, but you should not have much wiggle without moving the tires.

What symptoms do you have that prompted the question?

you can cure some of the overboosting by swapping on a larger diameter pump pulley. i used the one one that came from my 73 galaxie 500, it's about 1" larger than the stock mustang pump pulley. it slowed the pump down enough that the car actually has decent feel but still not like a newer car. that's ok with me though i like my power steering to feel like power steering.

EDIT: a smaller steering wheel also gets rid of some of the slop and helps the overboost feeling as well since it changes the mechanical leverage on the steering system

you can cure some of the overboosting by swapping on a larger diameter pump pulley. i used the one one that came from my 73 galaxie 500, it's about 1" larger than the stock mustang pump pulley. it slowed the pump down enough that the car actually has decent feel but still not like a newer car. that's ok with me though i like my power steering to feel like power steering.

EDIT: a smaller steering wheel also gets rid of some of the slop and helps the overboost feeling as well since it changes the mechanical leverage on the steering system

The reason I'm asking is because my car was dangerously sloppy when I first purchased it, so I'm not sure if everything I have done has got it back to the stock play. I just don't have anything to compare against. It sounds like it's probably about as good as it's going to get. The car drives very straight, there's just not an exact center on the wheel.

The larger pulley swap is a good idea...maybe combine that with a smaller aftermarket steering wheel. I'll keep that in my notes for something to do later on. Did you end up using a larger belt with the larger pulley or was there enough adjustment in the pump position? Anyone know what pulleys are good options to consider?

The reason I'm asking is because my car was dangerously sloppy when I first purchased it, so I'm not sure if everything I have done has got it back to the stock play. I just don't have anything to compare against. It sounds like it's probably about as good as it's going to get. The car drives very straight, there's just not an exact center on the wheel.

The larger pulley swap is a good idea...maybe combine that with a smaller aftermarket steering wheel. I'll keep that in my notes for something to do later on. Did you end up using a larger belt with the larger pulley or was there enough adjustment in the pump position? Anyone know what pulleys are good options to consider?

there was plenty of adjustment in the pump bracket to use the stock belt. currently i have a 13" grant steering wheel and combined with the larger pulley the steering is actually very precise and there isn't much play at all, it's still pretty dead on center but even that is somewhat better than stock.

there was plenty of adjustment in the pump bracket to use the stock belt. currently i have a 13" grant steering wheel and combined with the larger pulley the steering is actually very precise and there isn't much play at all, it's still pretty dead on center but even that is somewhat better than stock.