Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cupid

Rear end fluid capacity?

I have a 9 inch rear on my Grande'. I dought the fluid has been changed in it.

Questions:

1. Recommended gear oil(name and weight)

2. How many?(bottles to buy)

3. Hum-dinger....How do I get the old fluid out!!!?:taz:

I have a 9 inch rear on my Grande'. I dought the fluid has been changed in it.

Questions:

1. Recommended gear oil(name and weight)

2. How many?(bottles to buy)

3. Hum-dinger....How do I get the old fluid out!!!?:taz:

IIRC it takes 2 or 3 quarts. i'd use a good quality synthetic like valvoline or mobil 1. use an 80w-90 weight. some people recommend the 80w-140 but it's too thick especially in cold weather. you could even go with a 70 or 75w-90 if you want. don't forget to buy some limited slip additive if you have a traction loc or detroit locker or other type of posi.

now the fun stuff, the only way to drain the fluid from itis to pop the pumpkin out or at least loose. don't forget to a new gasket and new copper washers for it too. you might also want to consider new u-joints while you're there if they haven't been changed recently.

IIRC it takes 2 or 3 quarts. i'd use a good quality synthetic like valvoline or mobil 1. use an 80w-90 weight. some people recommend the 80w-140 but it's too thick especially in cold weather. you could even go with a 70 or 75w-90 if you want. don't forget to buy some limited slip additive if you have a traction loc or detroit locker or other type of posi.

now the fun stuff, the only way to drain the fluid from itis to pop the pumpkin out or at least loose. don't forget to a new gasket and new copper washers for it too. you might also want to consider new u-joints while you're there if they haven't been changed recently.

I believe it's 90w oil -Mobile 1, they say synthetics are the new thing?. I know it takes 4.0 pints of fluid (2 liters) If its a traction Lok you'll need a friction additive for the clutches. If it doesn't have a drain plug. I pull one axel and siphon the fluid out with a hose on a drill siphon. Then just refill Hope this helps.

I believe it's 90w oil -Mobile 1, they say synthetics are the new thing?. I know it takes 4.0 pints of fluid (2 liters) If its a traction Lok you'll need a friction additive for the clutches. If it doesn't have a drain plug. I pull one axel and siphon the fluid out with a hose on a drill siphon. Then just refill Hope this helps.

If it doesn't have a drain plug. I pull one axel and siphon the fluid out with a hose on a drill siphon. Then just refill Hope this helps.

This is how I do mine. If you go under the car, you still have to remove the axles to break the center section free. Plus, filling it back up is done the same way through a tube. I haven't encountered any issues and my rear is just fine. (thats what she said....)

Your local automotive store or a haynes manual should tell you what fluid is recommended, but I agree with the above posts.

If it doesn't have a drain plug. I pull one axel and siphon the fluid out with a hose on a drill siphon. Then just refill Hope this helps.

This is how I do mine. If you go under the car, you still have to remove the axles to break the center section free. Plus, filling it back up is done the same way through a tube. I haven't encountered any issues and my rear is just fine. (thats what she said....)

Your local automotive store or a haynes manual should tell you what fluid is recommended, but I agree with the above posts.