Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

N2GLOCK

Lincoln Versailles diff. install need help

I know that this is a 1969 forum but I am already registered here so I thought I'd ask about my '66 mustang. Some time ago I purchased a running Versailles for really cheap. My plan is to of course strip the Versailles of it's front disc brakes and 9" diff. (of course) and install on my '66. The front conversion looks to be as easy as pie but installing the 9" with discs looks to be a bit tricky. I have done some research on the web, but I have not found much info. and what I have found is not to informative. Has anyone done this procedure? If so, can you please tell me what's involved? The spring perches, shock mounts and the yoke appear to be different. Also the 9" appears to be a bit wider and I am unsure about the bolt pattern for the wheels. My Mustang has a factory installed vacuum power booster and the Versailles uses a hydraulic unit and I don't know if this will be a problem. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

I know that this is a 1969 forum but I am already registered here so I thought I'd ask about my '66 mustang. Some time ago I purchased a running Versailles for really cheap. My plan is to of course strip the Versailles of it's front disc brakes and 9" diff. (of course) and install on my '66. The front conversion looks to be as easy as pie but installing the 9" with discs looks to be a bit tricky. I have done some research on the web, but I have not found much info. and what I have found is not to informative. Has anyone done this procedure? If so, can you please tell me what's involved? The spring perches, shock mounts and the yoke appear to be different. Also the 9" appears to be a bit wider and I am unsure about the bolt pattern for the wheels. My Mustang has a factory installed vacuum power booster and the Versailles uses a hydraulic unit and I don't know if this will be a problem. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

The Versailles front disc spindle assemblies will bolt between your stock upper and lower A-arms. --However, you will need a pair of tapered bushings to adapt the lower spindle holes to the lower balljoint studs (Versailles have a slightly larger lower spindle hole than the Granada/Monarch disc spindles).

The Versailles rear end will fit under your '66. You will need to change out the round companion flange on the front of the 3rd member, and replace it with a flange from a '65-'85 Ford half ton pickup. Re-use your '66 spring perches. You will have to drill the holes in your spring for the larger diameter U-bolts. --best to weld up the original holes in the perch and drill new (dedicated) holes.

The Versailles has the very same 5-on-4½" lug pattern as the '65-'73 Mustang.

Some more information on this swap;

1. http://www.mustangsteve.com/granadadiscs.html

2. http://www.midnightdsigns.com/Mustang/Disc%20Brakes.htm

http://www.ultrastang.com