Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MDinDestin

Cougar Convertible

i have seen several pics of that car. it is very nice for sure. only thing i don't like about it is the eliminator graphics. they never made an eliminator vert but there are tons of phantom cars that were never made that people build, hech, i had intended for my car to be a phantom 69 cal special but those decklids are so darn expensive. anyway, i've never really liked the 70 eliminator graphics, i much prefer the 69 style myself.

that was the only way you could get a boss 302 in a cougar, yes, but the eliminator could be had with any of the 69 cougar engine options except the 351-2v. the boss 302 was only offered to homologate the boss 302 in the cougar for SCCA racing but ford dropped the mercury SCCA program before the car was ever entered for the 69 season. it was still possible for an individual owner to use the boss 302 eliminator for an individual race effort, however but i don't think anyone ever did.

other than availability of the boss 302 engine, for the most part the eliminator was just a stripe and spoiler package with grabber color options.

Here's what Wikipedia has on the eliminator:

A standard 351 in 4-barrel V8 under the hood, with the 390 4-barrel V8, the 428CJ and the Boss 302 available as an option. The Eliminator was the new top of the line model of the Cougar lineup. It also featured a blacked-out grille, special side stripes, front and rear spoilers, optional Ram Air induction system, and a more performance tuned suspension and handling package.

It also came in a variety of vibrant colors like Grabber Blue and Grabber Yellow.

Only 2 Cougars came with the Boss 429 V8, making them the rarest Cougars as well as Boss powered cars ever built.

I know a guy that had a yellow Eliminator back then... I wanted that old car back then.

Funny how he kicks himself for selling it everytime I talk to him about my car now. I like the 69 Cougars myself the most. I have another friend that still have his 69, 351w 4bbl that we upgraded with a rebuild/cam/etc back then.

I'm looking forward to Bnickel's Cougar build. :biggrin:

-Stephen

i still have the 70 Cougar front if and when you want them B? whenever you get the Cougar

i'll let you know when i get it, should be somtime in the spring...i hope, anyway. i'm still a long way from being done with the stang. hell, i was only able to get the stainless trim pieces for the side windows and the drip rail dones on ONE side of the car today, gonna try to get the other side done tomorrow. i've been working pretty much every night on my grill though, my homemade chrome grill is coming along pretty well using that chrome rocker trim from o'reilly's!!!!

i don't think i;m going to want to trade front ends on the cougar though, kinda want to keep the original stuff since this is a 60k mile car with all original sheetmetal. i just don't want to cut a hole in that virgin hood for an eliminator styel hoodscoop!!!!