Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

suzanne

How to fabricate a T5 crossmember???????

Has anyone out there in Mustang land fabricated a T5 crossmember to fit a 1969 Mustang? I’m getting ready to start my conversion and it is costing more than I expected and the articles I’ve read said there is a big savings there. I have a C4 crossmember and the T5 crossmember from a 1991 Mustang GT.

If you have done it, I would appreciate the measures or instructions.

Have a great day.

David

I am in a similar situation but with a TKO. I haven't decided to buy or build yet myself. Buying is easier obviously and takes the guess work out. I am not going to decide until I drop a block with the trans in and see exactly where things end up at.

-Stephen

I plan on fabbing something up, just havn't decided how I'm going to do it yet.

From what I understand, the T5 mounting location is lower than on the classic transmissions.

If you compare transmission mounts, the T5 mount in much taller than the classic mount(by approx 1.5"). It doesn't look like it would be too difficult to use the classic mount instead of the T5 mount.

If the transmision is still sitting to high, I plan to cut the mounting section out of my crossmember and re-weld it back together at the correct height.

Thanks for the information. Bottlefed1970 just contacted me about the clutch cable and crossmember and said he would keep me posted on his progress.

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer my message.

Have a great day.

David

Dan,

Happy to hear from you. First, I have a 1969 Mustang, stock 302, 4 bbl carb, C4 transmission and power brakes. I don't know if that makes a difference but I wanted to get it out of the way.

I have a complete T5 set-up from a 1991 Mustang GT. I'm not a mechanic so all I know about it is what I have read. I think that I will have to have the 91's flywheel turned and the weight reduced to 28oz, a crossmember, a 1969 Mustang clutch pedal and try to figure out how to run the clutch clable

that came with the 91 set-up.

I am very interested in your ideas, so feel free to suggest anything.

I have a hearing problem that is why I avoid the telephone. When we get to the details of the cross member, and your suggestions, I'll give you a call. Just wanted to warn you about my hearing.

I'm retired so I check my email several times a day.

I am having a problem locating the clutch pedal. All the ones on ebay are all the full assembly and they're going for a lot. Have you ever fabricated a clutch pedal?

Now, according to California Mustang, a T5 crossmember will cost $174.00. I told that they can be made for a lot less. What do you charge? I will have the original 91 manual crossmember and the C4 crossmember. Don't know if that means anything but I wanted to mention it.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Have a great day.

David