Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheo69GT

351 heads in a 5.0L?

Would 351 4V heads fit a 5.0L?

Here's why I'm asking; Some of you know about my modified 84, I spent most of last week taking it apart because of a blown head gasket, now I've found other things wrong with it, mostly, poor ass maintenance by the previous owners, there's so much sludge in this motor, it should be used for one of those oil commercials, not to mention the improperly torqued heads (probably why the head gasket failed), several vacuum leaks, etc. The vacuum leaks will probably explain the lack of boost from the supercharger, detonation, etc, the timing advance box uses vacuum to work.

Anyway, I have a set of Performer RPMs that've been waiting to put in my 69, I thought of putting them in the 84 but they're not complete, I have to get the rocker arms, Edelbrock recommends Crane rollers, and they are $400. If I'm going to spend that money, I rather spend it on the GT, not the 84, so if I replace the GT 351 heads with the Performers and have them worked over a bit and install them in the 5.0L, it should do better than the stock heads I would think.

Of course, all of this would be useless if they don't fit the 5.0, but I think they'll fit. And since I'm already there, I would replace the intake and cam in the 5.0 to match them. May also contact Vortech and get the 8psi upgrade to the charger :).

Thoughts? Thanks guys!

BTW, here's some pics of the carnage in my garage, LOL.

As bad as those pistons look, there's no damage to them, all of that is sludge and carbon deposits. I hate to have to pull the whole motor out for rebuilding, but I may have to.