Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

70Mach03

351C-4V Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold.

I'm thinking about swapping my present Weiland X-cellerator for a 351C-4V Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold. I recently won a $100 gift certificate at the 30th MCA Show in Birmingham from a Mustang Vendor and am planning on using it bring the price down to buy the manifold.

I'm running a mostly stock motor with headers and Holley 670cfm carb with 3.00 rear axle. I don't run high enough rpm with my present gear and stock cam to take advantage of the single plane X-cellerator higher rpm range. I figure I could use the low/mid range increase and maybe a little more economy.

Anybody running this intake on their 351C-4V? I've asked on other forumns and haven't got any responses. I know people have used them for years on 289/302 combos but I haven't heard anything on 351 Clevelands.

Well the link i had to the old 351c intake shootout is down but i found this page cached:

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:TnyWnQ5TJSQJ:www.payrollexpressinc.com/351support/Articles_files/Manifold%2520Comparisons.pdf+351+cleveland+intake+shootout&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a

basically saying that your X-cellerator intake is more for race apps and the performer is better for street apps.

I know the X-celerator is a single plane and more of a high rpm/race type manifold. If I was running a radical cam, solid lifters, and 850 cfm Holley and really steep gears it probably would be great. I was really surprised how well my car runs with the Weiand manifold. It was on the car when I bought it four years ago and even with the stock gears and cam it puts down about 260 hp to the rear wheels.

I just seem to run out of power around 5200 to 5400 rpms and figure I don’t have the carb or cam to take advantage of the Weiand’s higher rpm capability. Since I had the $100 coupon I figured it would be a good time to change out the manifold for a little over $100 my cost.

The Edelbrock lists for $203 and they got such an excellent reputation on their manifolds I figured it was time for a change. I’ve never seen or heard of someone using the 351C-4V manifold and just wanted to hear results from other folks.

Thanks for the link, it was interesting reading. :thumbup:

Yeh i have some more cleveland based/biased links on the main page of the site under links. When i had planned on doing a 4v cleveland i actually bought a blue thunder intake which is supposedly the baddest intake for the 4v. But i dont think you could go wrong with the performer.

i had the performer 2v intake and it was a good all around intake, i'm guessing the performer 4v would be about the same excpet for the larger 4v ports. it's probably going to be somewhere between a stock iron 4v intake and the weiand but slightly closer to the stock iron piece.

something i noticed when i was reading that article that Ben posted mentioned the rather common problem of the passenger side exhaust manifold of the cleveland cracking and they gave replacement options. i heard a good tip one time that recommended using the passenger side manifold from a 400m in place of the 351 2v piece because it uses a larger diameter exit than the 2v clevie piece, like 2.5" instead of 2.25" of the 251c 2v piece.

just thought i'd mention that for those guys that still use iron exhaust manifolds on their 2v clevelands.