Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

holdtherice

A little help?

Hey Guys, my speedometer isn't working and I'm not allowed to drive my car until it gets fixed, but I don't have the money to have a shop look at it. So I was wondering how I would go about the process of figuring out what's wrong with it.

Thanks in advance.

The speedo cable is usualy the first part to go. Pull both ends out and have someone turn the tranny end while you watch the speedo end. If it does turn hold it and see if can still be turned from the other end.

Hmm... I have a similar problem, only my speedometer reads nearly double what it should......

So on a serious note. There are basically two points our speedometers can fail, at the trans and at the dash. At the trans there will be a thick cable which inserts into the trans towards the back on the drivers side. It is not uncommon to come out with some wear, mine did. If the cable did come loose, it is probably hanging there and will need to be reinserted into the gear. Option 2 is the gear could be broken inside the transmission. In that case, you'll need to replace it. I don't think that would be the case though.

The dash could have a problem, but check the first thing before we go anywhere. Find that cable and make sure it is still in the transmission.

Duh, cable could have broken too. make sure it's all in tact!

Oh and speedometers are over rated.

First thing to check is the cable. Trace it along from the firewall to the tranny and make sure it didn't "rest" on a header or your exhaust, and melt the sleeve into the cable. It will be noticeable if it has done that (ask me how I know). Also check to make sure it isn't bound, at a sharp angle anywhere along the route.

If that looks clear, you'll want to test the cable itself.

It should snap in behind the instrument cluster, and if you snake your hand up there, you needn't remove the dash to get to it. Just squeeze the sides, and it should pull out.

Then get down and pull the other end out of the tranny. You'll see where that is easily, and should only have one bolt with a clip that keeps it in, easily removed.

To keep from having to pull the thing out entirely, you should enlist the help of a friend/familymember. If you twist one end, the other end should spin. Being as one is by the pedal assy, and the other is under the car, it's not necessarily easy to view both ends at once, that's where the friend comes in.

Ensure the tranny-end gear is okay (it should be obvious if it's chewed, but I've never actually seen it).

My first guess is the cable, though. Replaceable with a Scott Drake unit for about $23 or so.

If that ain't it, come back for the bad news about having to pull your dash out, hehe.

First thing to check is the cable. Trace it along from the firewall to the tranny and make sure it didn't "rest" on a header or your exhaust, and melt the sleeve into the cable. It will be noticeable if it has done that (ask me how I know). Also check to make sure it isn't bound, at a sharp angle anywhere along the route.

I had that exact thing happen. For some reason no matter how i secure it, it wants to get on TOP of that header. It must think the header is HOT or something......

Well, I already pulled the dash out before you said not too:oops: ,(I've done this so many times that it only took about 5 minutes:001_smile:) I had noticed that the cable had been forced into a sharp angle underneath the car and had been damaged, but not that badly from the looks of it. So I took the dash out, and took the instrument panel off:001_smile: . So, basically, I watched the end of the piece that goes onto the speedo, and drove the car back and forth a little, it didn't budge, so I guess that means a new speedo cable is in order right?