Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreaseMonkey

a couple things

now that im finally getting ready to start taking care of the major problems with 69 coupe, theres some things im wondering about. on most of the engine bay pics of Mustangs ive seen, the engine bay is painted black, but mine is Ford blue. same with the trunk area. i want to keep it mostly original looking, so is there any way this is correct? (my car is a low optioned 250 I6 car) or were all of them black? also what rust preventative is good? ive read good things about POR-15 on here and other places but still id like to hear some opinions.

and while im at it, im getting ready to pull my engine for rebuilding and to detail the engine bay, so whats the best way to pull an I6? ive read on here that the best way to pull a V8 is too keep the transmission bolted on and remove it all at once (at least i think i read that on here, lol) but i think the 250 I6 is a little longer than a V8 so im wondering about that too.

and maybe when i actually start doing things worth taking pictures of ill finally sign up for the gallery!

Well, I'm about to start considering pulling my !$#@$ tranny out with the engine if the other 2 bolts for the starter aren't any easier to get out than the top one. MY )((*&)^%% GOD, what genius decided on THAT placement?!?! Gotta love when Ford has to invent a special "Starter Wrench" just to pull out the near-impossible-to-get-to starter bolts. The Rebuilding a Ford Big Block book did warn me, but %#@!#$!

Okay, I'm done fussing now. =)

Point is, hopefully the starter is easier to remove on a 6 than it is on an FE. Even if not, I don't really see the need to pull the tranny out, unless you're needing to work on it.

I have not used POR15 myself but everyone who has raves about it so that's the route I was going to go if needed and I have also heard good things about an Eastwood product too.

The engine bay 99.9% should be black I agree and the tranny should be able to stay attached when pulling the engine, just be carefull with the cherry picker and take your time.

now that im finally getting ready to start taking care of the major problems with 69 coupe, theres some things im wondering about. on most of the engine bay pics of Mustangs ive seen, the engine bay is painted black, but mine is Ford blue. same with the trunk area. i want to keep it mostly original looking, so is there any way this is correct? (my car is a low optioned 250 I6 car) or were all of them black? also what rust preventative is good? ive read good things about POR-15 on here and other places but still id like to hear some opinions.

and while im at it, im getting ready to pull my engine for rebuilding and to detail the engine bay, so whats the best way to pull an I6? ive read on here that the best way to pull a V8 is too keep the transmission bolted on and remove it all at once (at least i think i read that on here, lol) but i think the 250 I6 is a little longer than a V8 so im wondering about that too.

and maybe when i actually start doing things worth taking pictures of ill finally sign up for the gallery!

engine bay should be all black. engine should be Ford blue. trunk should be body color.

probably done when the car was painted gulfstream aqua. mine was painted lime gold OVER the undercoating. it's now black undercoating, though.

So you didn't paint it Acapulco blue? I was thinking I might go with a specled mat to compliment it as I am tired of the correct plaid, that or I was going to do a matching black carpet.

Sounds like a record in here, but ditto on what bnickel said. A good underhood black paint in a spray can is available at Napa. It worked really well in mine this last time, and seems to be pretty durable.

Definitely take two out at once, and get a leveler if you can, it made my operation a lot easier, I put the motor in this past time by myself.

As for the trunk, my grandfather still lives back home with my parents. He likes projects to pass the time, and here is one that he did for me. Now the carpet looks a little odd on the back because I had a pretty nice stereo with dual amps before, and the battery was actually behind the side panel out of site. Sure, there isn't as much room in here, but the space was made usable that is out of site. I have a few electronic goodies mounted on the backside of the boards, and relays for my accessories.

So you didn't paint it Acapulco blue? I was thinking I might go with a specled mat to compliment it as I am tired of the correct plaid, that or I was going to do a matching black carpet.

no the paint shop didn't paint it, i guess they thought i wanted to leave the fresh black undercoat bare and i should have specified but it looks good anyway. i also have the speckled mat and i have some black speckle trunk paint in the garage if i decide i don't want the bare undercoating. we'll see.

no the paint shop didn't paint it, i guess they thought i wanted to leave the fresh black undercoat bare and i should have specified but it looks good anyway. i also have the speckled mat and i have some black speckle trunk paint in the garage if i decide i don't want the bare undercoating. we'll see.

I think body color is too much anyway unless it's a show car and the engine bay is body color too, like say, oh I don't know....disco red.:devil:

thanks for the replies! i wonder why the hell my engine bay is blue... the guy who had the car before me sure did do a lot of wierd things to the car so i guess thats another one of them i didnt really realize at first. well now its getting painted black. and since my plans are to paint the car presidential blue then i guess thats whats going in the trunk.

It's always that way GM, everyojne scratches their head at PO decisions. I tw as probably a young kid that got a deal on blue and didn't want to buy another color. As clean as my was from the PO he was a cheap bastard that lived in the sticks and rarely went into town so he did alot of screwy things. For example, my initial full inspection of the car after I bought it I could not find one single carter pin, everything had a bent nail in it. I mean c'mon.

And god forbid If I ever sell my car or trade up no matter how nice I think it is someone new owner will cuss me out for some choice I made.

And god forbid If I ever sell my car or trade up no matter how nice I think it is someone new owner will cuss me out for some choice I made.

yeah i'm afraid of the same thing when i go to sell my car. i'm just hoping there are at least 2 people who REALLY like the way i've done the car and are willing to pay big money for it.

yeah i'm afraid of the same thing when i go to sell my car. i'm just hoping there are at least 2 people who REALLY like the way i've done the car and are willing to pay big money for it.

I'm never selling my car. I've already moved countries twice with my Mustang by my side. I'll have to dig out the pics of it driving on the wrong side of the road.

I'm never selling my car. I've already moved countries twice with my Mustang by my side. I'll have to dig out the pics of it driving on the wrong side of the road.

We all feel that way, but never say never, life can be a cruel mistress that likes to throw curve balls and she does not discriminate. You think Bryan actually wants to sell a car he has owned loved and treasured for decades? Sometimes you just have to have bigger priorities in life than your own desires and I think that is extremely admirable! Not everyone is so strong or selfless in their acts.

We all feel that way, but never say never, life can be a cruel mistress that likes to throw curve balls and she does not discriminate. You think Bryan actually wants to sell a car he has owned loved and treasured for decades? Sometimes you just have to have bigger priorities in life than your own desires and I think that is extremely admirable! Not everyone is so strong or selfless in their acts.

thanks Pak.

Spoofty, i've had this car for 23 years and though i've never had to move to another country i have moved many times with the mustang as my only moving truck. it was my 1st car and i always said they would be bury me in it. well, the facts of life being what they are i'm no longer able to work because of a deblitating illness and the only way my wife and i can come up with a down payment for a house is for me to sell the car. later down the road the house will likely have to have a 2nd mortgage so we can put my daughter through college, that or i'll have to sell the 69 cougar i'm getting to replace the mustang as a toy and a much cheaper toy at that. like Pak said never say never because it WILL bite you in the ass.

thanks Pak.

Nothing but love and respect brother.:thumbup1: I just pray that my situation doesn't go worst case as well. I was lucky enough that when life almost destroyed my car that it didn't completely take me with it and though I have pain I can still work. Now that life has taken work away I'd hate to finally finish my car just to sell it for food and mortgage. If it gets to that point I just may start looking to the bottom of a bottle instead of higher powers for my answers.

. If it gets to that point I just may start looking to the bottom of a bottle instead of higher powers for my answers.

been there done that. i decided that once i started taking all this medication that my liver wasn't going to like it so i quit drinking. now if i could just quit smoking.

been there done that. i decided that once i started taking all this medication that my liver wasn't going to like it so i quit drinking. now if i could just quit smoking.

Been there too. 7 years ago I became a part time smoker. I would not smoke all day long and and only light up after dinner, maybe 3 or 4 a day. Weekends were do as you please as I just can't drink and not smoke. Went from a pack a day to just over a pack a week. Now that I have way too much idle time I am smoking quite a bit more (particulary since all I can smoke are butts just in case a test is required for a potential new job:sneaky2:). Doh, I didn't just say that.:innocent: