Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rbe4

Mig Welder

I’m looking to buy a MIG welder that will be used mainly for automotive work (shock towers, sheet metal, etc.). I think I’ve narrowed it down to either the Lincoln 135T (tap voltage control) or the Lincoln 135 plus (continuous voltage control).

The main question I have is do I need to go with the continuous voltage control or can I get away with the tap? I’m not opposed to spending the extra money for the continuous if it’s truly going to make a big difference, but will it really matter for someone of my skill level (just starting out) or for the type of work I intend to do?

Also, are there any votes in favor of a Hobart Handler 140 or Miller 135?

Thanks in advance.

I can't really help you with your main question but i do know that the hobart is made by Miller and is basically the same thing with a cheaper price tag than a Miller.

Also, at the body shop i worked at we had a miller and a lincoln and i preferred the miller because it had way more adjustments and was just a nicer machine.

Hmm.. looks like they have changed the product lines.

I have a Lincoln ProMig 140 and have been quite happy with it. It came with flux wire but had the hose/gauges for gas. I picked up a bottle and it works great for my purposes. I guess my unit must be a 'tap' type since it has detented power levels.

The welder is much more capable than I am I know that for sure.. but it gets the job done.

-Stephen