Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xsuperjoex

C4 in place of FMX...what to look for?

I've got a line on a C4 with the Bellhousing and TQ from a 68 mustang that had a 302 in it. My 70 Mach 1 has the FMX in it.

Do you guys think this will be very straight forward swap? Will I have issues with the driveshaft or yoke?

Do I need to purchase any additional parts that I should know about to make this job a lot easier?

Your help is appreciated! Thanks

you will need a different crossmember, yoke and driveshaft, the mount location of the c4 is different than the fmx and it's quite a bit shorter as well.

oh, and the flexplate is different also so you'll need a new flexplate unless by some wierd chance you happen to get the big bell c4 but out of a 67 stang with a 302 i doubt you'll get that lucky.

this is not nearly as striaghtforward of a swap as it would seem, a c6 would be an easier swap actually since it uses the same crossmember and i think the same driveshaft too. it definitely uses the same flexplate as well.

Wow I don't remember it being that hard but that was years ago I guess. Also I went from a FMX to a C6 to a C4 over the years.

FYI I have a couple C4's I can provides pics/measurements, etc if needed. I also have some crossmembers that I've used over the years for reference. I cant' get rid of them yet since I'm not sure what final direction I'm heading for a tranny yet but can again take pics/measurements if it will help anyone.

-Stephen