Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

W6DHE

need help-decoding consecutive number

I'm having a problem figuring out what number my car was in production. Mine was made in San Jose, along with all the other ford models. It's consecutive number is 167,103. 118,613 2 door coupes were made in 69. Is the 167 the number of cars that were made and the 103 the number in the production line?

thanks for any help.

No your consecutive unit number is just that, the number they were up to when your car was made in 100's of thousands. It is possible thought that it was made a few days early or later than the tag number depending on production schedule. Only a marty report would say that for sure.

Are you confused because the number is larger than total number of coupes?

thanks for the reply. I got it now. It is a little confusing when statistics say that a certain amount of one model was made and the tag on the door says something different. It's all the cars made in the plant.

thanks for the reply. I got it now. It is a little confusing when statistics say that a certain amount of one model was made and the tag on the door says something different. It's all the cars made in the plant.

Correct and also, it's not like they made all 119,000 coupes in a row either then moved on to the Sportsroof and the vert.

B, are you sure about the numbers including cougars too? That seems odd to me. That could mean that the first Mustang made for 69 might not be 001 like the earlier years.

positive. it was the consecutive unit of production regardless of what vehicle was produced. the only reason i can think of why it would be any different would be if the mustang cougar and built were on seperate assembly lines in the same plant and even then it would still consecutive unity assembled at that plant, also i'm pretty sure there was only one assembly line in each of the three plants that built these cars.

that means it was the 167,103rd car assembled at that plant at that time. all of the plants that assembled mustansg also assembled cougars so the consecutive number is for all body styles of mustang and cougars.

I cant remember where, but i read somewhere that Fords used 100,001 serial numbers and Mercurys used the 500,001 serial numbers, unless i read it wrong, it means that all frods produced at a certain assembley line were 100,001's and the Mercs used the 500,001 numbers. and then Lincolns, if i remember right used 800,001's