Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FMACHI

FMX 4spd??

I know I've seen a thread on 4spd auto options, but having found it in the search bar. I know I'll eventually grow tired of the 3spd FMX and need to decide what to do. Is there an easy way of getting an OD added to an FMX, or would a different box be the way to go.

Please direct me to the relevant thread if you know where it is.

For now, I'll keep looking.

Thanx, David

Sorry, no adding another gear to the FMX. However, you can get an AOD from a late 80's/early 90's Mustang 5.0 that can be adapted to the earlier cars. Over here it can be done as a junkyard swap, but you may be better off getting a package from a vendor.

What does AOD stand for, I assume the OD is Over Drive.

What 4spd auto is concidered to be the strongest? Is it a big conversion, any mods to match up these autos to a 351W? What's the down side of a 4spd?

I intend to set the car up as a strong street cruiser, not a drag car. Thanx.

Whoa... I expected there to be more answers to this thread...

First, Indianfire is correct that there is no adding another gear to the FMX and that an AOD is a reasonable choice. In fact, Ford used the FMX design (rather than using the C4/C6 design) as the basis for the AOD. AOD doesn in fact mean "automatic overdrive"

Installing the AOD is really fairly straight forward, much like just replacing the original tranny. You will need a special crossmember, which is readily available, or you can do what I did and build your own. You'll also need an adapter if you want to use your original shifter, which is also readily available. And you'll need a TV cable, also readily available (get it from Lokar). You may or may not need to shorten your driveshaft. I found that I could use my original driveshart (and my car was also originally an 351W with an FMX) without any modificatinons, except for a simple swap of the front u-joint to attach the AOD yolk.

That said, if you're interested in going with an AOD, there are lots and lots of different models and options. The AOD in stock form is not super strong. If you want to buy new or rebuilt, make sure you discuss what you want in terms of power handling capacity with the builder. If you buy used or rebuild it yourself, make sure to start with an AOD that came from a V8 car. Then do lots of reading about possible mods, like good shift kits, hardened input shafts, better gear sets, more clutches, better valving, etc. And be sure to run an extra and large tranny cooler.

Now, if you're willing to spend more money and get a better tranny, consider an AOD-E (E for electronic), which is a better built, electronically controlled version of the AOD. However, it requires a special stand-alone electronic tranny controller, like a TCOM (which is pricey). But it doesn't need a TV cable and attaching the shifter is different (I think). But if you go with one of these, you can get a way cool paddle shifter for it called the Shrifter. I want one bad!

Anyway, hope this helps...

pretty sure that Ford Australia also used the AOD, it would have been behind most any of the windsor v8 cars from the early 80's until the early 90's. not sure if there were different options for it or not. you might ask on the australian falcon forums and see if there is an overdrive that is easily adaptable.

try doing a search here

http://www.fordforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=532