Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

351carlo

Mini Starter on a 70

First, has anyone done this?

Second, I picked up a factory mini starter from a 93 Mustang 5.0 today. I'm not sure if it is compatible with my current flexplate, but I have a smaller flexplate for my new C4. Currently I run the larger diameter with an FMX just until I get some money to finish my C4 swap.

Will the starter be compatible or will I need to run the old POS until I switch?

I just picked up a new '93gt starter for my '66 ,I am installing a 5 speed so I can't exactly answer your question, You probably know about the '93 has a solenoid so you don't have to use the solenoid on the shock tower ,run the large hot wire from battery to the hot on the starter ,then run the ignition start wire to the mini's solenoid. I'll check some of my back issues of Mustang's and fords ,I think there was an article on that addressed the flexplate question not long ago.

Thanks Keith. I actually went with a 92, but they're the same as the 93. Yes I'm aware of the solenoid and thats precisely whey I went with this setup, as I'm trying to clean up the wiring even more. With the battery in the trunk, the main power cable won't even make it's way into the engine bay (Well hardly).

Let me know if you come accross that article. Many thanks.

Carlo

it should work on both. generaly the trans has the starter mounting location in the correct place for the flywheel/flexplate appropriate for that transmission/bellhousing, the only exceptions are some of the early manual transmissions with the 3 bolt starter that obviously won't be able to use any of the 2 bolt starters and there is also an oddball 2 bolt starter for manual transmissions that uses a totally different style snout but the same 2 bolt pattern as the normal auto and late model manual trannies.

in other words as long as you are using an auto trans or a t5 you'll be fine with the mini starter. i've never tried to use just the starter mounted solenoid alone nor have i ever read about using solely either. i've always read about and seen the 2 solenoids used in conjunction with each other on the older retrofits by putting the starter cable on the battery post of the apron mounted solenoid and the ignition hot on the solenoid to starter post of the apron mounted unit. i think the reason they are run this way is becuase the excite wire for the alternator is also connected to the apron mounted solenoid and the late model starter doesn't have a post for the excite wire. if that's the case you're charging system won't work with the way you guys are talking about wiring the thing up. i could be wrong but i'm pretty sure that's correct so some further investigation on you guys part might be in order just to make sure.

bnickel, you're entirely right about the wiring issue. However I already addressed that when I rewired my alternator. The original alternator just had too many wires for me, and didn't look neat.

I have too read what you were talking about with the battery positive just moved over to the battery side of the ''firewall'' solenoid, and a lead going from the ''starter'' side to the excitation terminal of the starter.

Thanks for the idea about the bellhousing. That was my assumption since 157 and 164's had different bellhousings, but I couldn't find any definitive answers. I am going to try it, and hopefully all works well.

I had done a C-4 to TKO600 5-speed swap recently and reused the same starter. Old automatic engagement depth = new 5-speed engagement depth on the starter. The older 4-speeds and such had a different depth - they retreat farther into the starter housing after engaging.

I put a new FRPP mini starter in there, the 1.6kw version from Mustangs Unlimited. I have to say, the best part about it (the weight savings is nice) is the way it SOUNDS! Fordmuscle.com has an article on this swap as well, and it has a nice machine whirr before the startup. Hard to describe.