Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

icebluestang

Tranny and Speedometer Cable

Question #1)

I am wondering where do I find the stamped numbers on a 1969 Mustand 4 Speed tranny? I really want to identify the year of the transmission.

Question #2)

Also where the speedometer cable slides into the hole on the passenger side...what exactly is inside the tranny to turn the gear teeth on the speedometer cable?

Answer to #1: there`s a metal tag rivetted on the side of the case on the pass side with the codes stamped on it. there may also be a partial vin number stamped on the top edge of the case also on the pass side.(check shop manual for deciphering)

Answer #2 : there`s a worm gear that is mounted on the tailshaft that turns the gear on the speedo cable. (again, check shop manual for color code and/or location.)

If you post what you find, I`ll try to decipher it for you.

Hope this helps,

John

Thank you for your help, I didn't see a rivetted tag anywhere on the tranny. If I take the tranny out of the car I will look a lot closer for stamped numbers. I also stuck my finger in the hole where the cable and gears go, I just felt one circle disk, kind of like just one gear tooth. Does that sound normal. I don't know I just can see that one little thing spinning the teeth on the speedo cable. Thank you for your help and sorry I couldn't write back sooner.

Leo