Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bearone1048

suspension upgrade

I have a 69 MUSTANG conv. I am doing a rotisery rebuild. The suspension is old style, would like to swap out for later model susp. (macph.strut-rack and pinion- rear disc) you know what I mean. Was curious as to what model and year Must. would bolt in or fit with minor fabrication. I know they have expensive conversion kits, but I have a few later model Mustangs available to me. Was curious if someone else has already done one of these swaps. I'm new to this site, and type SLOW so bear with me. I await any knowledgable responses. The BEAR

I have a 69 MUSTANG conv. I am doing a rotisery rebuild. The suspension is old style, would like to swap out for later model susp. (macph.strut-rack and pinion- rear disc) you know what I mean. Was curious as to what model and year Must. would bolt in or fit with minor fabrication. I know they have expensive conversion kits, but I have a few later model Mustangs available to me. Was curious if someone else has already done one of these swaps. I'm new to this site, and type SLOW so bear with me. I await any knowledgable responses. The BEAR
I installed a power rack and pinion in mine and am very happy with the results,but,I suspect you have a small block and don't need the extra room that further mods would add(and give the ability to remove the shock towers) the old stuff works pretty well with new bushings and springs.Just my 2 cents,but I would spend it on the drive train and some subframe connectors.

nothing from any new mustang will work without completely redesigning the whole front suspension and it will all have to be fabricated. yo

ur best bet is to find an affordable kit.

Do you recommend the new neoprene bushings or the oem?

All of the "bolt-in" stuff is all aftermarket... As bnickel indicated, all later model suspension or steering related stuff will take a bit of fabrication. Probably the only retrofit type rack conversion I've seen that works is cheapsk8's Taurus rack conversion, and even it took some decent fabrication work (a bit of welding really). That conversion was covered in some magazines 10 years or so ago.

In terms of aftermarket rack conversions, you've got several options, ranging in price from around $1200 on up to $2000 (or more). If you're interested in a more complete suspension coversion, look at something like Fatman's conversion that allows for a late model (Fox or SN95) type suspension to be installed. I think they're kit is in the $2500 territory and that doesn't include many of the suspension parts as I recall (though I might be wrong).

Finally, if you're on a budget and just want better handling, there are lots and lots of things you can do to improve the stock suspension and get very good results. Check my website for my thoughts on the matter.

Finally, there are lots of rear disc conversions. One of the cheapest is the Ultrastang conversion that allows you to put 11" Lincoln Mark VII rear discs on your stock rearend. The only thing it requires are his conversion brackets ($90) and the conversion parts (under $200).

Hope this helps... Good luck!

Well ultrastang.com is no longer up and running it seems. But here is an exerpt from one of his pages that google has cached:

" CONDITIONS THAT MUST BE MET FOR THE EXPLORER REAR DISC SWAP TO WORK ON YOUR FORD REAR END HOUSING:

1. You must have an axle housing with Large Axle Bearings.

2. You must have a housing with 3/8-inch diameter flange bolts at the housing ends (NOT the ½" diameter flange bolts found on some housings), and the bolt spacing pattern has to be 2-inches vertically x 3.56" horizontally (NOT 2-3/8-inches vertically X 3.56" horizontally).

3. The distance from the wheel surface of the axle flange to the start of the axle bearing journal surface has to be a minimum distance of 2.188".

The Mustang 8- & 9-inch rear ends have Medium Axle Bearing Housings, and most of their axles fall in the 2.090-inch range --so in other words, if you have a Mustang 8-inch rear end, or if you have a 9-inch rear end with Medium Axle bearings, you're pretty much outta luck on this swap.

NOTE: there are also two different versions of the Versilles rear end housing. Both have the Large Axle Bearings, but one has ½" diameter end flange bolts on a 2-3/8-inch x 3.56" hole pattern, while the other has 3/8-inch flange bolts also on a 2-3/8-inch x 3.56" hole pattern. While the Explorer rear discs will work on these rear end housings, it will take some modifications to make it work. "