Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

8869muscle

neg wedge kit in--camber woes

hi, i'm relatively new and hoping you guys can help me out...i just installed a negative wedge kit from pro motorsports along with new upper and lower control arms...720lb springs are in along with monroe shocks...once on the ground it has too much positive camber--i adjusted the eccentric as much as i could but not much help when on the ground...there is no motor or tranny in the car yet...any ideas?...thanks...

Until you have the front end loaded down with either motor/tranny or a bunch or sand bags or weight to get down to ride height you really don't know what the camber will be at that level would you?

Due to the unequal length control arms you'll always have camber changes at the extremes of travel.

-Stephen

protowrxs, that's sort of the response i was hoping for....i figured the front end would have to be loaded first...what bothered me, however, was the fact that i am not able to give the car negative camber, like most rolling chassis...say the word and i'll leave it alone until i have the engine and tranny in....thanks

I suspect you're fine. I've also got the Pro-motorsports negative wedge kit and their eccentric eliminator kit and didn't have any problem getting the car aligned or adjusted. That said, when the front suspension isn't settled, it can appear that the camber is way off. This is actually pretty common after a suspension rebuild, or even just jacking the car up. It's usually because the spring saddle bushings slightly bind. I ran into this most recently when I just swapped wheels and lowered the car back down. It looked very bad initially, but simply driving (rolling) the car 20 feet got it to settle back down with no problem.

So, if you've recently had the car up or just rebuilt the suspension (especially if you did it with urethane bushings at all), you might just need to roll the car a bit to get the suspension to settle a bit.

Hope this helps...

darkbuddha, i indeed replaced the entire suspension and replace the bushings with polyurethane pieces...thanks for posting--your first hand account is very helpful...i've been considering adding the eccentric eliminator as well as the bump steer kit...how does your car handle by the way? thanks again....

I wish I had enough seat time to give you a truly comprehensive view of the suspension but I just haven't. I live in Seattle and the car is in Tampa at my parents' place, and it's still not done. What I can say is that compared to the previous setup (which was basically all stock except for slightly cut springs and polyurethane bushings), the new setup seem significantly more capable. The car seems more precise and is firm, but doesn't seem harsh (so far). It's definitely flatter in turns (but I've upgraded to a 1" front bar) and feels much more secure for it.

Anyway, I suspect you'll have yours on the road before me, so you'll have to give me your review when it is.

will definitely do....i will also post some pics of my car with it's recent paint job when i get a little bit further into the body assembly...still gotta decide what type of engine/tranny combo i'm going to go with...no time, no time, no time....

...no time, no time, no time....

I know the feeling, except mine alternates between ...no time, no time, no time... and ...no money, no money, no money... Basically it's pretty amazing any damn thing gets done on my car really...

I'll look forward to the pics and your ride review. I'm thinking I might get mine "done" (I use the term very loosely here) by the first of June. Of course I said that in 2002, 2003, and 2004. I skipped 2005 because I finally got semi-realistic... sigh...

school gets in the way of my progress !!...the most pressing thing at the moment for me is to get the entire front suspension and steering done...still got some welding to do--shock tower reinforcement kit...do you think the master fastener kits are worth the money?...oh, and i'm definitely going to look into the remote trunk latch swap on your site...

I feel your pain guys. No time because of school on M-W-F's and i work on sat and sundays 12 hour shifts. So i am able to buy a few parts. But no time to get it done. Since the weekend would be the only time to do so. ONE DAY Though ONE DAY. :)

I know what you mean about school... I'm a doctoral student and a TA, which basically means I've got to hold the hands of 70 freshmen while trying to do my research topics. Oh, and lets not forget the Saturday job I've got or that I'm supposed to spend time with my wife and 18 month old son... I wonder if it ever gets easier?

Anyway, I've got no opinion on the master hardware kits... I always figured if my hardware was in good shape, why replace it? That said, sometimes I wish I'd done a better job labeling where stuff came from and where it goes back, so for that reason it might be worth it.

And I think everyone who owns a '69-'70 should have the remote trunk release deal... cheap and easy and completely bolt-in.

Wow you the man buddha, good to hear other peoples situations that are somewhat similiar.

I plan on purchasing a master hardware kit in the near future. Partly because i did not label my hardware to great either heh heh.

yeah, you got a lot of things going on!....i'm currently working as a TA at an elementary school and going to school full-time for a degree in business marketing...the reason i've been contemplating the hardware kit is that i like new stuff and it sucks to have crappy looking bolts fastening new parts...i'll look into restoring techniques i guess...picking up my hood later this morning from a member on this board....very excited...