Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gsxrken

69 lower dash panel bezel and switch removal

I have my dash panel out of the car with all the switches (ingnition, headlights, wipers) still in it. I'd like to sandblast this front and back and repaint.

But I don't see an obvious way of getting the elctrical switches off the back, or the chrome bezels off the metal dash. I thought I'd post to ask the question how to get them off before I start busting things and THEN post.

TIA

I just did mine. The switches are easy to get out but a pain to put together since most of the tabs where broken off my switch retainers.

The headlight switch has a small spring loaded button on the right rear of the switch. Depress this button and pull the headlight nob out of the switch. Upon doing so you will notice a retainer with what looks like a big + sign where you just pulled the nob from. There is a special tool that you can purchase to unscrew the retainer but I just used a big screwdriver.

The ignition is removed by unscrewing the chrome outer ring with ridges in it. Gain there is a tool for this but I used needle nose pliers and spread the fingers into the grooves as I twisted. There is also a small phillips head screw which can be removed from the column side of the dash.

The wiper switch nob pulls off and you can unscrew the same type of retainer that is used for the headlights.

My $.02. Good luck.

The wiper switch