Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RabidPhilosopher

auto to manual conversion

Has anyone done a C4 to manual conversion? I've been kicking around the idea of breaking my own "budget" and fitting a T5 transmission to my pony. Anyone have any helpful tricks / knowledge on this subject? Like "Well, you can buy a 1975 grenada and everything in it will bolt up to your pony..."

Although, the thought of hooking up a 6 speed gives me speed bumps... but my gut instinct is that a 6 speed, like out of a cobra mustang, would be just too costly to retrofit...

Anyone done a tranny conversion? If so, i'd greatly appreciate any little tid bit of knowledge you could throw my way.

here's what to do - just go here and buy the kit:

http://www.moderndriveline.com/md_faqs/T56_1.shtml

they make it pretty easy. If there is one part of my restomod that I'm determined to make easy, it's this. I'm just going to drive down to SJ (45 miles away) and have them do the install. Might go with a T56, not sure yet, though you may have to move the engine down and farther back with that one.

What motor do you have in the car? A T5 out of an 1987 to around 94 mustang 5.0 will work if you have a small block in your car. These transmissions won't take a beefed up motor, so if your motor isn't putting over 400hp then a T-5 will work great. You will need the clutch pedal and all linkages unless you go with a cable or hydraulic clutch conversion. You will also need the correct crossmember and flywheel, not to mention a starter from a manual car. The shifter on the T5 is their weak spot, so plan on buying a nice aftermarket shifter for the transmission. There are kits available from NPD and other mustang parts suppliers that will help in the conversion. Not to refer you to a different website, but http://www.vintage-mustangs.com has many people on there that have done this conversion and can help you step by step. The T56 and the TKO500/600 transmissions are rated at higher horsepowers, and the price of those transmissions reflect that.

Thanks for the links

What motor do you have in the car? A T5 out of an 1987 to around 94 mustang 5.0 will work if you have a small block in your car. These transmissions won't take a beefed up motor, so if your motor isn't putting over 400hp then a T-5 will work great.

present engine is a 302 with a modest performance upgrade; 650 holley, edlebrock intake, ect. i'm only putting about 320 to the rear. good enough for me though.

anything more than that, and my daily driver becomes a weekend cruiser with the way gas prices are going...