Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RabidPhilosopher

A good reason to buy a parts car

Back in 00, I got tired of hunting for parts for my 73 pony, and got tired of finding them... because once I found them... almost always wanted 10 times what the part was actually worth. Before the 73 coupe was a 72 mach, and before that was a 69 429 coupe. After struggling with 3 cars in the hunt for parts, I said to hell with it, and bought a 87 gt vert, then traded up to a 95 GT.

I drove that 95 until it was wrecked this summer, and when deciding on my next car, I finally came to the conclusion that the only car i've ever felt "right" driving was 60s and 70s muscle. So, I went back to my roots and purchased my present 69 coupe.

Now, i'm always on eBay looking for parts. Some are reasonably priced, some are just a tad bit over priced. And then.. theres the type of fellas who make you regret ever allowing the insane notion of restoring a car into your head... like this fella: laporte@tusco.net

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4575289965&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1

5000$ for a shaker hood scoop... and it isn't even NOS. Its a reconditioned piece. I took the time to email him and thank him for his humble price gouging (I almost bought a NOS 351 shaker for a friend a few months ago for 1000$ off eBay).

This is just one piece out of many over-priced parts i've encountered.

So, its taken me 4 classic ponys to figure out the hard way that if I ever decide to restore another one... i'll have a couple parts cars to go along with it.

As an enthusiast, I hate using any classic car as a "parts car." Hell, i'd rescue and restore every rust bucket I came across if I had the money. But, I suppose some sacrifices must be made...

I'm sure the more experienced enthusiasts on this forum already know this verse and chapter, but thought i'd share it anyways.