Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

maxxfish

Mach 1 to Shelby GT350...Crazy?

Maybe I have too much free time today. I'll be picking up my '69 Mach 1 project this weekend, and I've been thinking how I can make it "special." It's just a plain jane H-code car, and all it really needs is some repair/replacement for rust in the lower quarters and lower doors, paint, and drivetrain rebuild. When it's done, it will be a nice driver, probably worth around $20k.

But I've been playing around with restomod ideas. Wheels, paint, maybe some engine bling. That's all pretty expensive, and I'd never get my $$$ out of it, but it would be just how I want it. (BTW, I'm not hip to the Eleanor thing).

So how about a Shelby GT350 clone? Has anyone done it? How much did it cost (I'm figuring $5k extra)? Would it be desirable? Would I run into any major roadblocks (other than finding the Lucas foglights)

I know, some will say that it would be a tragedy to deface a perfectly good Mach 1. But the same can be said for a restomod, and it's a pretty common car. BTW, I'm not just thinking about $$$ value in the future, but it is a concern. Am I crazy? Max

Well i shelby clone is worth more than a Mach1.I myself have a 1969 Mach1 and i was looking for a 69 shelby clone before i bought this and they were getting better value than a Matching numbers Mach1. You could have had a shelby body to start off on ,It ended yesterday. >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4563669618&fromMakeTrack=true

It's been done several times with both convertibles and fastbacks. Have you considered a hybrid? That is, a shelby rear end with your "plain" 69 front end.

You'll save a truck load of time and money and I for one honestly think the stock 69 front end is the best looking pony car front ever built.

i would make a quarter horse clone if you are going to that much trouble. it's basically part mach 1, part shelby and part boss with a little cougar thrown in for good measure.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/thehistoryof/173_0402_boss_35_years/index5.html

it was basically a 69/70 fastback body with shelby glass pieces except for the quarter scoops which were like 69 boss 302's and regular 70's, and a cougar dash. of course it also had a boss '9 under the hood but you wouldn't have to go that far with it. one thing is for sure you'd likely never see another one, that's for sure.

there, I said it - the '69 Mach looks better than the Shelby IMHO. The Shelby looks more lke a 'Cuda than a Mustang in with that front, or maybe a Camaro. Every time I have seen a Shelby rear on the Mach, and most of the times I've seen a Shelby rear put on a Mustang it has just looked like it is in poor taste. '67 GT/CS excluded and Eleanor-style mustangs. I think the Eleanors look great from the doors back but kind of lame in front.

I think there are a lot of Mach ideas to look at. Hal Baer's Mach 1, the Stroker Restomod in the gallery, a Trans-Am Boss style Mach 1, a Pro-Touring Mach. I would vote against it, but your mileage may vary. If I had a mach, the only exterior mod decisions I would have would be the hood style and whether to do a bolt-on front spoiler or spoiler integrated with the front valance.