Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ales

69 Mach 1 in Sudan

Hi guys!

I'm now working in Sudan -- North West Africa. (neither I am American). And guess what, I stambled across a 69 fastback Mach 1 Mustang here.

I am really tempted to buy it, though I am certainly scared.

The car is in pretty poor conditions, besides that the owner replaced the engine with 6 cilinder Nissan one ...

He claims though that he still has the original V8 but it has broken automatic transmission. I did not have a chance to see the engine yet so I have no clue if it can be repaired.

The car runs with the replacement engine.

Interior is far from nice looking, though it seems to have all original staff.

Bodywork seems to be relatively fine except for painting. It's a hot and dry climate here.

I could ask for your advise if I should buy it, but knowing you all are Mustang lovers I' d better perefrase it:

Do think it will be possible to rebuild it right here in Africa, given it is most likely the only Mustang for thousands and thousands miles around?

Will it really cost me fortunes to do that?

And then again, what would you say a car like that would cost in states, so that I can start my bargaining here from somewhere?

What specific things you would advise me to check out when I will be taking a more attentive look at it next time?

I know these are a lot of questions, but if I will buy it, there will be much more coming ...

well without seeing it or knowing if undercarrage is good id say around here it would go for like 8 grand if it was a 351 windsor 2v .If it doesnt have the engine and now has a nissan engine i woundt pay more than 4 to 5 grand

As for parts shit you can buy those from ebay as long as seller is willing to ship there. How much is he asking?[/size]

It's a bargaining culture around here, I already told him that a car like that would cost 3-4 grand in US (which was a good bargaining start as I see from your post).

His point is, it is the only car in the country, if not on the continent.

Then I am not interrested in it with a nissan engine -- don't see a point of buying a Mustang then.

His first bid was like 10 grand, but we both knew it was unrealistic.

So what do you recon exchanging gearbox would cost me like (save delivery)? I've already taken a look around the web, but got a bit confused.