Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

swilms

Anyone tried Repro Doors or skins?

I'll be giving my first try at a door skin this month. I decided to take the gamble over just going with a whole shell so the interior lower grain will match still.

Well, that's a case by case situation really. I have no doubt it matches what the lower section looked like when brand new, I am reffering to the section of metal below the vinyl panel BTW. Depending on how many folks have refinished this section over the years and the methods they used, your stock one could look very different from how it left the factory. See the correct method to refinishing this fau leather grained piece of metal would be to strip it but many folks have sanded it over the years. This tends to only remove the paint from the high spots and leaves it in the valleys until after several years and coats they may alomst be flush now. The new skin likely has a deep contrast in high and low still. My car is such a car where what is left on the good door is very subtle now so I am attempting to save my inner portion (which is badly dented) and only skin the outside, all just for this detail.