Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

markstang1969

Operation; WTF was I thinking?...and so it begins

Engine removal:

Day One finds me draining the cooling system and the oil. Took about 25 digipics of stuff that I may have questions about later. Moved on to removing the alternator, battery, radiator, miscellaneous hoses, overflow tank, fan and belts. Late afternoon start, so maybe more today or tomorrow. Word to the wise for the day is: Always invest in a decent jack. Mine sucks (the little red piece of SH*T in the second pic), so I called my buddy with the 2.5 ton jack.

100_1731_medium.jpg

100_1729_medium.jpg

EKKK all those tools on fenders !!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ,, your killing me :shock: :shock:

I guess you've never seen how crappy the paint job (layer 2 with parts of original showing through) is.

It will all be repainted before I am through.

Here's a sample:

100_1695_medium.jpg

wow ya i guess the paint definatly needs work, looks good in the other picture

My wife has already approved the purchase of fender covers for later. (I am a licky man, with a wife who loves muscle cars) As I was taking stuff off today, she was helping clean them up and labeling stuff. She also assembled my engine stand while I was under the car :lol:

Anyway,

DAY TWO:

I removed the starter, loosened the exhaust/manifold bolts and pulled out the Y connector, Pulled the PS pump and brackets, removed the Torque/flywheel nuts and all but three of the bell housing bolts on top. Unplugged the fuel line to the Fuel pump. Loosened the clip at the rear of the block moved the tranny filler tube out of the way. I have the motor mounts ready to just unthread a bit for removal. Unplugged all wiring harnesses. It all went rather quick and I am proud of myself. My friend with the truck is off Monday or Tuesday and we will go rent the cherry picker, prop up the tranny and pull that mofo out. :D

wow, you're doing it the hard way. i always pull everything as a unit, tranny and all. when i put the current one in my car the only that bolts to to the motor that was not bolted on for installation was the carb. i even had the hedman shory headers bolted up. and when i say everything i mean everything, the aforementioned headers, the ac compressor, the ps sterring pump, alternator even the clutch fan and all the belts and pullies were on. i have found it's much easier to put everything on while the engine is on the ground rather than in the car, same for pulling the engine as well.

wow, you're doing it the hard way. i always pull everything as a unit, tranny and all. when i put the current one in my car the only that bolts to to the motor that was not bolted on for installation was the carb. i even had the hedman shory headers bolted up. and when i say everything i mean everything, the aforementioned headers, the ac compressor, the ps sterring pump, alternator even the clutch fan and all the belts and pullies were on. i have found it's much easier to put everything on while the engine is on the ground rather than in the car, same for pulling the engine as well.

Did I mention that the block and heads are going to a shop for the rebuild after I pull it? I would think they would have a hard time rebuilding the block and doing the heads with everything on there.

it would still be easier to pull the motor with everything attached and then pull it off the motor after it's out of the car. just trying to help is all, i hate seeing people do things the hard way

What you say makes sense. I'm just going by what the manual said. noob-age strikes again :oops:

Do I need to remove the cross supports between the front fender (area around the radiator that has the hood latch on it, behind the grill) in order to pull out both at the same time or will it angle down and then over?

The part the air hose is hanging over in this pic...

100_1729_medium.jpg

that's the radiator suport, unfortunately it's not removable. you can pull the engine and tranny over the support, but you'll need a helper to help lift the tranny over the radiator support. it's not hard though since the weight of the engine acts like a fulcrum.

that's the radiator suport, unfortunately it's not removable. you can pull the engine and tranny over the support, but you'll need a helper to help lift the tranny over the radiator support. it's not hard though since the weight of the engine acts like a fulcrum.

Whew! I was kind of scared, cuz I assumed the front clip was welded together, so that helps. I will have a helper, so It should be ok. Will the driveline just fall out when the tranny goes forward? (I have all the supports loosened and ready to come off, and the shifter disconnected BTW)

yeah you need to remove the driveshaft and trans X-member first. also make sure you remove or disconnect all the wiring, trans cooler lines etc, basically everything that will still be attached to the body somehow. also makes sure that you remove the engine slowly and make sure nothing is hanging up when you're pulling it. i made the mistake one time of getting in a hurry when i was pulling my engine and tranny and destroyed my tranny cooler lines. so don't get in a hurry, this is another area where a helper is good, i didn't have one that time. pulled the engine and tranny and re-installed them all by myself other than the cooler lines it went pretty well, but it would have gone much quicker with a helper

yea ur gonna watch that tranny as it comes over. I just pulled my enigne and tranny out this weekend. Without my firend over it would have taken so much longer. I may be repeating everything previously stated but remove everyting (obviously) cause that tranny just seems to like to catch on to everything on its way out. a lot of lifting and pullling it took to get the 2 out together but all said and done it went over well.