Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coz

Rebuild kits?

Just purchased a 69 Mach1 w/ a 351W. I want to complete a rebuild on it to refeshen it up and confirm the condition - I think it's had a rebuild recently but I want to see it myself. I have a rear main seal leak and one around the non stock oil pan. Anyway, what do you recommend as a complete rebuild kit? I've found this one - can anyone comment on this or recommend one?

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/hm-performance/engine-components-engine-rebuild-kits-engine-rebuild-kit-for-351w-ford.html

I want a mild increase in power - it already runs out nice - but want to maintain a mostly stock power plant. Plus it's a shaker hood so I want to maintain that look also. I was thinking an electic choke carb replacement as well.

Thanks for the help. Pictures soon - it's rainy big time in MD.

that's exactly like my engine with the exception of the pistons, i used the stock dished pistons since there was only about .003 wear on the worst cylinder on my car. i would much rather have the pistons in that kit though. i even have the same cam. it's a pretty good kit, like i said basically the exact same setup i have including all the ancillary parts listed in that kit down to the gaskets, etc. the cam is a little lopey but that's probably because my compression ratio is a little low with the stock pistons. with the pistons in that kit you should get about 10:1 compression maybe a little less which is about perfect for that cam and a good intake/carb combo and a decent set of headers. for the intake on yours i would go with an e'brock performer, it won't mess with with the shaker much at all, if any. throw in a set of tri-y or shorty headers and you're golden man. i would recommend a carb in the 625-650 range for your car especially if you use the stock heads. if you want a better set of heads for not a lot of money check out a set of World Products windsor Jr's or some CNC ported early factory casting heads from http://www.powerheads.com

with this combo of parts and the powerheads and a good ignition system you'll be in the 375-400 hp range and still be very dependable.

Thanks for the info. I am thinking new heads. I do have Tri Y's and a Mallory 6AL ignition system so this does sound like the way to go.

The leaking is bothering me but I do notice very little leaking when warm under power. Figure that to be the gaskets swelling with heat.

Problem is I purchased this vehicle with no documentation and the weather has been too lousy to really do any investigative work. My garage is too tight to get any real work done w/o the garage door open.

i know what you mean about the garage space, i was planning on cleaning my garage out so i could get the car in, but i decided to measure the garage first. i'm about 4 inches shy of being able to park the car in the garage, thanks to the washer and dryer

i know what you mean about the garage space, i was planning on cleaning my garage out so i could get the car in, but i decided to measure the garage first. i'm about 4 inches shy of being able to park the car in the garage, thanks to the washer and dryer

Guess you should have bought an older mustang

Another body line extended from just above the rear bumper along the rear quarter panel to just behind the rear wheel well to define the lower bounds of the convex body sculpture. The cars grew in length as well as in performance. By adding 4 inches to the body, Ford increased the length of all three models to 187.4., the longest Mustang built up to that time

j/k :P :P :P

Guess you should have bought an older mustang

Another body line extended from just above the rear bumper along the rear quarter panel to just behind the rear wheel well to define the lower bounds of the convex body sculpture. The cars grew in length as well as in performance. By adding 4 inches to the body, Ford increased the length of all three models to 187.4., the longest Mustang built up to that time

j/k :P :P :P

there's one in every crowd, huh? ecept it's usually me :D